Ka Brakes

Hi all Took front whells off of my wife`s ka this afternoon, brake pads are down to about 1 1/2 mm, been quoted £20 for new pads. What tools will i need, other than spanners, pliers ect, what size hex key will i need or is it a torx bit at the back of the caliper??

Thanks for any help

Tony

Reply to
Tony & Debs

In message , Tony & Debs writes

Brakes are straightforward. Its an allen bolt and I'm 95% certain that its 7mm.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

...Which if I remember rightly is an odd size. I got one from a bicycle shop once, when in the middle of nowhere!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

I bought a socket mounted one from Halfords because both my Focus and Ka use the same size.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

IIRC, it's the same size as BMW use, and Eurocarparts do a long key with handle quite cheaply. But I got a set with 3/8 drive from Halfords for not a lot - much more useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They're easy enough to get hold of, certainly, but I'd hate to think of the poor chap taking his wheels off only to spend the next ten minutes grummaging around for an Allen key he hasn't got :o)

Si

P.S. Ever done that? Discovered half way through a job that you're missing a tool or a part and thought "I'll just nip down to get one in the......"?

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Oh yes

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Murphys law states that this will only happen when you've broken something and you need the new part to drive the car to the motor factors to get the replacement part.

-- James

Reply to
James

Usually spark plugs, when you were only going to gap them.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks for all your help guys, just took me 40 mins to do the brake`s.

Next job, is the shoe`s

Regards

Tony

Reply to