Ka Reving ?

I have a Ford Ka on which the revs are falling slowly when changing gear.

Only happens when changing gear, the revs don't increase but take a few seconds to drop to normal, I have reved it whilst out of gear and drops as normal no problems.

Could it be anything to do with the clutch not disengaging straight away ? Or does anyone have any ideas or know the problem ?

The other half did hit a small ramp in the road which apparently caused the car to shake, something may have moved no doubt, what though I don't know all looks fine under the car no marks or dents.

Ta muchly

Stu

Reply to
Stu

This is completely normal feature - which I fins a bit annoying too - its designed to help rubbish drivers change gear reasonably smoothly.

Reply to
DougP

In message , DougP writes

Sorry, but that's bollocks. This is a known problem for which Ford have a well known fix[1], we had ours done before we finally got rid of the heap of shit. 140 quid from our local (un)friendly dealer.

[1] New TPS and a small new part of the wiring loom. 140 quid. FFS.
Reply to
mike. buckley

Seems I have sorted it, cleaned air filter and carb, all runs smooth now and the revs drop as normal, the pot hole must have dislodged some crap and blocked the air flow or similar.

Reply to
Stu

In message , Stu writes

It doesn't have a carb.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The ECU deliberately holds on to the engine speed under certain conditions to be kind to the trees. It may be normal.

It could be, have you checked the fluid level?

It could be the idle control valve or the throttle position sensor. The idle control valve usually causes idling problems. The throttle position sensor can need replacing - what age and mileage is the Ka?

Hmm. A small ramp - did she take off? But seriously, it's not likely to be a factor. The ICV gets gummed up rather than full of little bits of debris...

Reply to
DervMan

I was always more of the impression it was to help ensure gear changes were smooth, tbh - most injected stuff does it.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Ye olde throttle springs did this, aye. For the Endura-E, Ford state that shutting the fuel supply off with a bang produces more (sorry most of my resources were burnt so this bit is from memory) NO, which they reckon is bad for the trees.

So it continues to squirt petrol in for a bit longer (bad for the trees too, heh, increases consumption).

Kermit's engine behaves differently when the air conditioning compressor is running too and never shuts the fuel supply off.

Reply to
DervMan

Ok ok, the throttle body housing, opened the throttle sprayed in there, lots of black crap came out, started it up did the same again crap came out of the exhust this time, put the filter back together and runs smooth.

"I was always more of the impression it was to help ensure gear changes

It was reving quite high for too long, even higher after being on the Mway, mate told me he had the same problem and the AA did what I did above and has been fine since.

Stu

Reply to
Stu