wheel trims

Every day out in car I see wheel trims lying at roadside,now,these things dont fall off if they are on properly.The last time I went to have tyre replaced I noticed the guy that was put on the job just pulled a long thin screwdriver out of the rule pocket of overalls and wrenched the trim off with it ,not doing the shape of the trim any good. Now I know there are other reasons why these things come off but I would always make sure before driving very far from these places.

Reply to
Tab

Some do indeed fall off for no good reason! Vauxhall ones used to depart frisby style over the smallest pothole. The after market ones are especially bad because they are made from a hard plastic rather than the more pliable material genuine ones tend to be made from. I've always used cable ties (now available in silver for this very purpose) except on our ZX which has the fully flush wheel trims with no holes (though none of these have ever fallen off.)

A friend once saw a trim bounce of the bonnet of a Merc as he drove down the exit lane of the A329M. When he got home he noticed he had only three trims left............

Reply to
Doctor D

I have lost one wheel trim even though I know it was secured properly which is why I now use cable ties to help keep them on should they come loose. I have noticed a lot of other drivers using cable ties also for the same purpose.

Reply to
Mike

I pick em up and boot fair em. Amazing how many people need a particular brand of trim. Sold about a dozne last year at £1 a go. Obviousley thats not my only item I sell.

Reply to
john

I've seen a lot of trims which aren't very central on the wheels, and as the wheels spinning round it looks like the whole wheel's gonna come off lol. My old wheel trims were just clip-on, and came off with a good (very good) pull. When I came to replace them, they cracked as I pulled them off, they were quite weak. My new ones are OEM though, and are held on by the wheel nuts.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk