Laguna broken timing belt. Damage? Cost?

A pal with no internet connection has asked if I can post a few questions for him.

1996, 2.0 Laguna - don't know yet if it's 8 or 16 valve.

Timing belt snapped last night. What is the likely damage? Some bent exhaust valves, or do the inlets get bent as well? Any piston damage likely? He was slowing down to turn in at home so he reckons he was doing about 15mph when the engine stopped, though he did try to restart it a couple of times.

I know it's difficult to put a repair cost on it without knowing the extent of the damage, but assuming it's 8 valve and all the exhaust valves got bent, what sort of price is he looking at to get it repaired? Even an educated guess will do. The car cost him £600 a couple of years ago, so if the cost of repair approaches that, he'll scrap it.

I /might/ be willing to have a go at it for him if it's straight forward enough, though I haven't done any work on engines for years. Is there anything to watch out for, or any special tools needed?

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

it is not straightforward or cheap. Sounds like it is time to chuck it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Strip it and ebay it

Thats what i would do rather thenscrap. Lights and interior often wanted. Got rid of a 87 Saab 9000 like this and my mate just got shot of a 95 Rover

216i . He got £600 for it on ebay for all the bits. Lights , leather trim , speakers wnet for a fiver.

Paid local scrappy 30 quid to take the carcass away

Reply to
john

It'd be a good idea if he had an internet connection, and I don't want the hassle of it. Cheers for the suggestion though.

Reply to
Curls

Thats true

But strongly recommend anyone scrapping a car to do a SORN and then strip and ebay it. Use some of the profits to pay a crappy to take the carcass away

personally , I have loads of bits like bulbs. the family and friends never have to buy new bulbs and also got shot of tons off stuff on ebay. Wing mirrors go well and I got rid of a saab radiator for 45 quid. Wheels go well as well if tyres are good and brake calipers for the SAAB got me £120 .

Now a ford fiesta yielded very little as it was trash. But lights , indicators and both bumpers went on that one as well as the interior.

Worth doing if you ahve the space and time.

Brian

Reply to
john