laguna turbo diesel

Hi Iam looking to buy a Laguna 2/3 years old BUT Can anyone give me advice on the laguna dieseI I heard that the turbo when faulty stays on and you cant switch it off.

Reply to
iffy41

The turbo is driven by exhaust gases so it can't run if the engine isn't running.

Reply to
Conor

iffy41 ( snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It can happen to *any* turbo diesel.

If the seals go badly, the turbo will suck engine oil into the intake, which the engine will then run on instead of the diesel fuel injected.

Because there's no ignition to turn off, and the engine isn't running on fuel from the injection pump, the engine will run until the "fuel" - the engine oil - runs out. Oh, and because diesels are throttled by managing the fuel rather than the air, and there's no restriction on the oil being sucked up from the sump by the turbo, it'll run at absolute full-welly until the oil runs out...at which point, it'll be thoroughly nice and hot and revving its nadgers off...

The _only_ other option is to try and stall it.

Is the Renault/Nissan engine more prone to it than others? Perhaps. But out of the many reasons to avoid a Laguna, that ain't top of the list.

Reply to
Adrian

No he means that when the turbo 'goes' (oil seals fail) the engine runs away and it self distructs.... And yes, they do. Thats if you can get it started in the first place when the immobilizer throws a wobbley....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yeah I know about that problem. Was the wording of the post.

Reply to
Conor