Landrover Freelander - Water in oil

I had a call from my daughter in California tonight. Her 2003 Freelander is in for attention (overheating and water level dropping) and the garage say there is water in the oil.

They purchased a "cast iron" warranty with it which covers repairs up to the current value of the vehicle, but a new engine would be $15000 against the $11,000 value.

Sounds like they have a warranty argument looming, but the garage are making noises like it is a known problem. I told her she should have bought a proper car, but she loves it, especially for bad weather driving.

Is it a well-known problem with this model?

Reply to
Gordon H

Yes & a new cylinder head's not $15000.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Thanks, but I suppose there could be bottom-end damage, bearings etc? I'll get back to her...

Reply to
Gordon H

Assuming 1.8 petrol, then yes, very common. Repair kits of an improved head gasket etc exist and are not that expensive. Google for "K series head gasket" and you should get a hit or two.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Only if driven till it seized.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Woman driver.... Maybe I'll be cautious next time we speak. ;-0

Reply to
Gordon H

Thanks. I guessed the gasket had blown, but I don't know how long it's been driven in that condition. ;-( They aren't into D-I=Y repairs, especially in view of the warranty.

Reply to
Gordon H

Ford used to be very good about sorting this on Freeloaders, they admitted that the engine wasn't the strongest and did something to sort the HG issue.

Rover denied it was their fault, and look what happened to them.

I suspect it should be sorted easily enough over in Mercania.

Reply to
Pete M

Of course if it's the warranty companys nominated garage they may just be useless.

Reply to
Duncan Wood