Mini Belt Tensioner

My daughter does the accounts for a garage in California, and her boss, the garage owner, said that they'd had a few Minis in, all with belt tensioner problems. He said "We'd better have a look at yours, the parts don't amount to much, and it means expensive noises if it fails". She regards it as a perq for working there, repairs done for free or very little.

I wondered if any mechies here had noted this problem with the Mini (Cooper)?

Reply to
Gordon H

I seem to recall hearing of camchain tensioner issues, generally known as the "death rattle"

Reply to
Adrian

My 2008 needed a cam chain replacement, under warranty. No symptoms beyond the rattle. Can't say it sounded any better - a lovely engine but sounds like a diesel at tickover.

Reply to
RJH

Thanks for the responses. I know a couple of people with Mini Coopers, so I might run it past them.

Reply to
Gordon H

You don't say what version she has so my comment applies to what is sometimes known as the 2nd generation models with Turbo charged engine and not the earlier Supercharged or the ones fitted to the most recent models

Bought the missus a Cooper S in 2008 and after a couple of months it sounded like a Diesel starting up. Its a chain not a belt. Tensioner changed under Warranty and it is now a well known problem for cars around that period. At the time there were reports of BMW/Mini dealers not recognising the problem and being awkward but ours was fine, but then having found out about the weakness on various forums it was a case of "this car has got the chain tensioner problem,will you fix it please?" Not "is the rattle a fault?) to be fobbed off with "They all do that sir" kept the car for a further 3 years with no reoccurrence of the problem.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The old Chrysler Tritec 1.6 (belt cam) didnt really have any issues in the cam belt region, change the belt at or before the recommended intervals along with idler and tensioner etc etc and all will be well..

On the new PSA 1.6 Prince (chain cam) engine, there are very definately and serious issues with the tensioners and guide 'cassette'. YES DO THE WORK NOW , if not already done. Includes a replacement chain too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

On 28/11/2014 17:39, Tim

Will pass that on, daughter had hers done, but I have a couple of friends...

Reply to
Gordon H

You should get out more.

Reply to