Ling Long tyres

A while ago someone mentioned Ling Long tyres. I nearly put them down as a made up name, but they do exist. I bought a set of secondhand wheels for the Focus, intending to get some winter tyres put on the rims, one had an unworn Ling Long which I put on the ns front as a temporary. In the warmer weather there was no problem with grip at all, superior to the Nexen which it replaced. But now the weather has got cold, that corner is like it is on ball bearings, spinning all over the place including when already moving !! A set of those should come with an insurance claim form. I don't tend to do much late braking, so locking up has not been a problem, but in an emergency I expect it would be one slidey thing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They're well known as ditchfinders :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Saw a scary sight parked next to me at the gym today (I took the MX5 on winter tyres)... a Honda S2000 with OEM Bridgestones on the front. And Nankangs on the back.

S2000s are tail happy at the best of times... that thing is going to be a liability on the slippy roads we're getting at the moment.

Reply to
SteveH

So now you can impress your mates with the wheel spin... Yeah once had a long discussion here about budget tyres. It is horses for courses, the difference is not as day and night, it is more of a sliding scale, if you excuse the pun. Just as some cars handle better than other cars, it's not a big problem really if you know your car and drive accordingly. A good driver will know when the car is on the limit anyway.

Reply to
johannes

I've just had a hire transit with 3/4 life left Hankooks on the front, they where fine till it got below 4C then the traction control light kept lighting up in 2nd gear.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

But other tyres are also affected by cold temperatures. E.g. in F1 they heat up the tyres before a race.

Reply to
johannes

Yes, but some are far worse than others, these where pretty dreadfull.

Reply to
Duncan Wood