M5 crash

No but it would slow white van man, SUVs and BMW's down from 80mph.

Reply to
Peter Hill
[...]

Not entirely; some manufacturers had changed to either 100% LPG propellants, or mixes containing LPG, long before it was legally necessary on the grounds of cost.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Mrcheerful writes

Run that past us again, please... 8-)

My friend's SatNav does that. She is a very careful driver, but got nicked for speeding on one of those roads which doesn't have any speed limit signs for miles, and it could be 40 or 50mph. That's why she got the SatNav.

Reply to
Gordon H

If there are no regular signs and is a built up area, it's 30 mph.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought a new sat nav with the speed limits displayed for the road being travelled, but it was wrong as the limit had been changed.

The only time I went through the Blackwall tunnel (about 4 years ago), I was in lane 2 overtaking the lorries (just a bit faster) and the bloke behind me was getting quite irate, flashing his lights, hooting etc, but I did not see any speed limit signs at the approach, nor in the tunnel either, and the lorries were too close together to pull over...

David

Reply to
David

Not built up areas, lampposts further than 100 yards apart, a bypass road but not dual carriageway. Since she mentioned it I have noticed a number of roads which could be 40, 50 or 60.

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

The rule regarding the distance between lamp posts determining a speed limit is long gone; now, if it's lit and there are no signs to the contrary, it's automatically a 30mph limit.

See HWC:124

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Reply to
snot

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Why? Have I offended your delicate sensibilities?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

PTFE insulation?

Please enlighten us - where is this material used as an insulant in automotive application?

BTW, it is hydrogen fluoride and hydrofluoric acid - note spelling.

Reply to
nemo

So how does this kerosine/diesel remain liquid at 35,000 fett?

Reply to
nemo

Another self-righteous prig. You sending your poppy to the funeral are we?

Reply to
nemo

No idea, but Viton seals are fairly common.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Hydrofluoric acid is a known hazard in car engine fires, forming when certain types of synthetic rubber found in some o-rings and hoses are exposed to temperatures in excess of 400°C."

ECU potting compound when in a fire gives rise to it as well, according to the LFB

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The poster stated "....Luckily, not many vehicles use PTFE insulation, which liberates....." (see above)

PTFE is a low friction polymer generally used in mechanical bearing or inert meterial applications. I'd be intetersted to hear of THIS MATERIAL'S use as an insulant in an automotive environment.

Reply to
nemo

Duncan Wood

intertersted ? What on earth does it matter what it comes off, engine bay fires can give rise to it, that seems to be a fact.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

By being very carefully cleaned and refined, having a low freezing point, and ensuring that it's as near as possible to being free of water. Fuel in the tanks of the average airliner spends most of its life in the air at ambient temperatures below -20C.

Road fuel diesel will have problems with waxes settling out and blocking the filters at about -10 in Summer, and -40 in Winter.

Reply to
John Williamson

Reply to
John Williamson