M5 crash

Engine mounted oil/fuel heat exchangers normally prevent icing in the restricted passages of the engine fuel system. The BA Boeing 777 crash at Heathrow highlighted a design fault in the RR Trent engines when the FCOC's became blocked due to icing.

The fuel transfer pipes within the aircraft itself are fairly large bore and are not prone icing in the same way.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Mrcheerful writes

I didn't know that, but I used to use Hydrofluoric acid to etch home-made printed circuits for electronic equipment. Not easy to get hold of, nasty stuff which can't be kept in a glass container, but useful for cleaning dirt-ingrained roof lights where I worked, and from where I "sourced" a small quantity.

Reply to
Gordon H

Go back a few years and CFC's were cheap - before they started mentioning a ban. For instance you could buy a 30lb tank of R12 for about a tenner in the mid 80's. Last I heard, not long before it was 'banned completely' in the West, it was more than 200 quid.

It only got expensive when they stopped making it!

Reply to
The Other Mike

Well, yes; it was cheap as a refrigerant. but not as a propellant when compared to LPG.

The company I worked for filled aerosols amongst other things. It was a

10 acre industrial site, but situated close to housing. When they wanted to go to LPG propellant, long before the requirement on environmental grounds, the local council refused permission. The company then purchased another business in a different town, and told the council they were moving aerosol production away. The council, realising the job and financial losses at stake, relented and allowed the LPG installation to go ahead.

The total cost of the change, not counting the cost of buying the other business, was several million pounds. When you have four production lines, each filling 300 cans per minute, I guess every fraction of a penny counts!

Someone from the local fire brigade told me off the record that it was their biggest worry in the county; the safety systems in place were impressive however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In article , MattF writes

Reminds me of the saying "never had an accident, caused many"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , John Williamson writes

Anyone else see the programme (Air Crsh Investigation on C5 I think) a few weeks ago about the airliner crash at Heathrow when the plane lost power on approach and landed just short of the runway? That was found to be caused by waxing of the fuel and a badly designed fuel heater manifold IIRC.

Mike Tomlinson

still plenty in the states (r12) . r22 last year was 42 quid for the little bottle and I bought two, little realising that it was about to be phased out (I would have bought more) the same size bottle of reclaimed r22 today is 800 quid and it won't be available for very long.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The badly designed fuel heater was operating beyond its certified capabilities, apparently. IIRC, unusually low temperatures had been encountered for an unusually long time en route, but I can't remember where I read it.

Accident investigation report summary here:-

Full report here:-

John Williamson

Why didn't you use ferric chloride with a dash of hydrochloric acid like everyone else on the planet - infinitely safer!

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , The Other Mike writes

I only liberated a tiny quantity from work because it was free. I knew the guys who handled it, and I disposed of the remainder safely by drinking it. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Yes, make it up as you go along, why not. Don't let factual accuracy get in the way of your postings.

Reply to
nemo

I did not post it.

Reply to