Making water level visible

I am trying to find and cure a water coolant leak in a previa 97 petrol auto with no success so far.

Practical problem is, as there is no antifreeze left to colour the water, it is extremely difficult to see the water level in the expansion tank. At the moment adding more antifreeze is an expensive waste of time.

What could i use to colour the water to make it easier to see. How about food colouring? Or would that rot the rubber piping etc? Tks for any ideas.

Reply to
Tim

If you go to vintage rallies etc, the stationary engine guys use a very concentrated dye in water that their engine pumps pointlessly round a circuit as long as the engine runs. I thought they used antifreeze, but this suggestion was apparently sacreligious. Said engine geezer then produced a test tube of the magic elixir of which two drops are enough to colour an entire reservoir or somesuch.

Don't ask me where to get it though.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Flourescine is the right stuff to use.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I found on a spacecruiser that the radiator was the culprit (leaking near the top) and hard to spot, also the bleed pipe from the top and the cap on the engine were suspect so I replaced them too. Best bet is just to pressurise the system and see where it falls out, if it only leaks when running then water pump may be the fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This is probably the stuff you are thinking of

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rae

That'll teach you not to buy a Proton...

Reply to
Abo

Doesn't fluorescein need a UV light to work well? Or is the UV in daylight enough?

Reply to
PCPaul

It shows in daylight well enough, it is better with a UV light, but quite acceptable without. If I were the OP I would just use some antifreeze in any case, it is pretty cheap, necessary and easily available, a fiver's worth and some searching will do it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My Mum recently bought the correct antifreeze from Ford for her Ka and when I topped it up was surprised its white. How useless is that for seeing the level through the white expansion tank?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

they must have changed then, the last ford anti freeze I bought was a sort of pink.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Reminds me of my youth. A handful of flourescine would colour the water of an entire reservoir or river, a gallon can of Tepol (concentrated detergent) also produced amusing results!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Like dead fish for miles around?

Reply to
Doki

years ago I went on a canal holiday through woverhampton and birmingham, the pollution was sometimes so bad that as you filled the locks the turbulence would create bubbles from all the detergent the factories were continually pumping in to the cuanal and you had the bizarre sight of a boat in a bubble bath.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Fountain pen ink?

Reply to
newshound

Knowing Previas, the odds are that it's the cylinder head. It's a common issue.

Your best resource for this would be

(essentially the same car), thereare a lot of knowledgable people there. Many (including myself) havesuffered this failure in the past.

Reply to
asahartz

in which case a simple test with a 'block test' kit will show it up.

Reply to
Mrcheerful