Testing Water Level Sensor

Hi guys n gals

Prompted by a previous post, the water level sensor in the expansion tank of a rangie - how do I test its works? (without breaking my very fickle water pies to drain)?

I ask, as I would like this sensor to work, but it is not wired up at all, it just has two connections, and when I pulled it out the tank, it just seemed to have a float that never actually opened or closed the contacts.

Does it require a positive wire to switch then to light then to earth to make it work?

Thanks

Roger

1956 Series 1 86" 3500cc V8 Petrol
Reply to
Rog

Twas Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:09:52 +0000 (UTC) when "Rog" put finger to keyboard producing:

I'd say take it out, put a multimeter accross it (testing for resistance) and lower it into a container of water.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

These sensors are very poorly made and eventually leak water into the contacts and then fail. I believe the wiring is as you stated, there will a feed from the dash lamp and a connection to ground. The float is a magnet with a hole which slides up and down a central tube which contains a reed switch. When the float drops too low the reed closed making the circuit and thus the lamp comes on and you start to panic!

Reply to
Alan Cutler

Thank You Both very much, will wire this week end

Rog

Reply to
Rog