Management light

Whilst out and about this morning, my '02 Rover 25 1.6 engine management light has come on. There was no noticeable difference in running whatsoever either before stopping to do a bit of shopping or on the ride back home. ( The light re-appeared as soon as the ignition was switched on )

All the forum advice is to read the fault codes. Is there a fairly economical DIY solution for a reader, including the code info of course or have I got to rely on the local garage?

TIA Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

have a look at

They do quite a range of readers from basic to pro.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Look on ebay for fault code reader. I got the U581 (I think - it's in the garage and I'm not :o)) and am ver pleased with it.

Reply to
Dave

I am seeing a lot of engine management lights on recently, often due at least in part to using supermarket fuel. One of my customers has informed me that there has been a large batch of petrol coming in from Russia, it has to have a load of stuff added to make it reach our minimum standards and is still pretty poor. So you may find that swapping to decent fuel may solve your problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks both for that. I've bought a U480 and even located the socket. Just hoping it's something cheap to sort out.

Reply to
Andy Cap

I rarely use supermarket petrol and yesterday topped up - about 2/3 of a tank - at my local Esso S/S. I suppose they could have slipped in some cheap stuff. It would be good if it was that simple. ;-)

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Cap

Is the petrol cap on tight?

Reply to
John

As tight as it usually is I think - just twisted and locked. Having reset it a couple of weeks ago now, it hasn't re-appeared, so fingers-crossed it was something to do with the fuel, one way or another. I'm currently looking into how the Land Rover is wired, in the optimistic hope of getting the code read should it reappear. Thanks.

Reply to
Andy Cap