Mazda MX5 Battery

Hi all,

I've been regularly using a jumper to restart an MX5 for a neighbour (3 years old - the battery not the neighbour). She only uses the car infrequently - perhaps 3 times per month hence the problem. It lives in the garage so starts pretty easily.

She asked me again to jump start the MX5 this morning but she doesn't need the car today so I've put it on charge with a standard car battery charger instead (deliverying about 4 amps). The battery seems a bit small and light though and I'm now having a nasty feeling that it might not be a lead-acid battery at all. Am I being paranoid? I may be being confused by references to Pansonic MX5 cameras and Li-Ion batteries on the internet.

Is it OK to charge it with a normal charger or should I ring her and tell her to turn it off now (I'm at work until 6pm). I have removed the battery from the vehicle.

What do people think of the replacement available from WestCo? See

Finally - do MX5s have keycode or equivalent on the Radio - yes I know I should have checked first but the battery was completely flat anyway!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

The message from "Tony Brett" contains these words:

Why not persuade her to get one of these

use it!

Reply to
Guy King

So it looks like it is a Lead-Acid, albeit a small one. But then it's only a small revvy engine, so it should turn over easily enough. Sealed -gel batteries will charge fine from a car charger too, and that's the second most likely type.

Mx5 Battery:

Voltage - 12V Capacity - 50Ah CCA(SAE) - 500A

Dimensions(mm)

194 x 130 x 180 Original equipment specification
Reply to
PC Paul

Looks good but a bit expensive! I'll see what she says.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

The message from "Tony Brett" contains these words:

There are cheaper models available. IIRC Gunsons do one.

Ah, here's a review of several...

Guy King

As an MX-5 owners' club member...

The battery is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) lead-acid type and should only be replaced with one of the same kind, because the consequences of leakage in the boot are quite nasty. A replacement should also have the vent holes for the little "stethoscope" tube in the boot.

I replaced mine with a WestCo. It's slightly taller but does fit in with the standard bracket; this is height adjustable. It has the vents and the terminals are the right way round for connecting the (short) cables. *Some* people have reported failures within 2 years but they seem to be the exception, and on paper at least the WestCo is slightly superior to the OEM battery (higher capacity and CCA). An AGM battery in the relatively cool boot should last 8-10 years.

Most MX5s seem to have had the stereo replaced as the original Clarion units were pretty rubbish. For some reason the silver face-off JVC CD/radio units are very common and these are not coded.

AGM batteries require rather special treatment if they have to be recharged from flat. See

for more than you ever wanted to know (the MX-5 Mk1 and Mk2 were called Miata in America; the new one is called MX-5 everywhere).

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Thanks for all that - she has now ordered a Westco which I'll fit tomorrow. My weedy charger seems to have brought enough life back into the original battery to start they car after a 9 hour charge but it certainly was not keen!

Yes - no code was needed so that's good.

Wow - what an article! Interesting reading and it does seem to confirm that the Westco is the way to go.

Thanks everyone for your help. It's great to learn from such a great bunch of people.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett