Medium size cars are now called Large cars

Also sprach " dojj" :-

Nah. Bet you can't get 21 people in an Espace...

Guy King

Yup. I've had both, and the E34 is *far* superior. Safe handling too. Of course that decent rear suspension comes at a price - much smaller boot and rear leg room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

been doing the rounds in an FSi 2.0 TDi thing lately f*ck me is it quick!!!! but the steering is too wooly and the brakes seem to be very nervous when you want to stop in a hurry handles like a dream and rides the bumps like they wern't there, and the cornering turn in is "crisp" but the steering lets it down because you have no idea where you are going it's lke trying to steer a blamonge :(

Reply to
dojj

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I've had both as well, an E28 528i and 535i, and an E34 520i and 535i.

IMHO the E34 feels a lot heavier and a fair bit more remote.

The E39 is the same again, more remote and heavier feeling than the E34..

My ol' Merc feels somewhere in between the E34 and E39, but feels a lot more secure at speed than either. Nowhere near as much fun as my old 535 though. Just a shitload better built.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:cntr0u$a7e$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, dojj decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

indeed. I've also driven the FSi and the TDi Golfs.

The 1.4 is frustratingly slow, and appalingly built. The number of FSi Mk5 Golfs we had that broke constantly was startling.

TDi ones are a lot quicker, but a lot heavier at the front. It's like trying to swing an anvil off line.

Reply to
Pete M

I quite like the looks. The later wide grill version looking nicer IMO than earlier narrow ones. Is there a proper name, mark, etc, to distinguish E34's with different rad grills? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Mike G decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Not as far as I know, it's just a late E34. I think all the V8s had the wide grille though. No doubt DP will correct me...

Reply to
Pete M

Have a look at

what those over the pond think is 'compact'. cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Heh heh. The only V-8s I'm interested in aren't BMW...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's a shame BMW couldn't get the steering right on the E34 / E39 V8s. The engines sound superb, work well, and aren't /that/ thirsty considering

I still prefer a really nice TP Vitesse to 'em though..

One day I'll get another SD1 Vitesse. I *really* miss my old one.

Reply to
Pete M

Hehe. Gloat. I've already got one. A silver 1985. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Mike G decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ooooh, you bastard!

Reply to
Pete M

IMHO, it was semi-deliberate to keep it for the E39 V-8 for the US market which is its biggest.

The E39s seem to have a lot more issues than the sixes, although not all strictly engine related.

I'll not get rid of mine until it breaks in two. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

snip

snip

Couldn't agree more - different model, but my wife's Mk3 1.6 CL was a truly awful car - bugger all feedback from the road, wallowy handling and listless engine to boot. My 1970 Triumph 2.5pi outperformed it in every way aside from mpg ;-)

26 years of progress? I think not.
Reply to
DocDelete

FSi TDi??? I thought FSi was the name for their "revolutionary" (*cough* bollocks *cough*) petrol engine technology, and nowt to do with the diesels.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

They were classified as "Superminis".

Regards,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Hobley

Yes, but isnt the Mondeo now as large as the old Grannies?

Reply to
R. Murphy

well, the rev counter said it was only going to show 4500 rpm before it turned to red so i'm pretty sure it was a diesel :) but it had an FSi thing on the boot that and the diesel rattle sort of gave the oil burner engine away :)

Reply to
dojj

Audi A4.. compact? You've got to be kidding me!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt