Megane coolant loss.

My Megane (1.6e 8v engine - K7M) has started to loose coolant at a rather rapid rate. I noticed it initially when the engine started to overheat the other day. There seems to be no leaks, dripping, or external loss, so I'm fearing it's leaking inside the engine. It started running a little rough on startup few several seconds before kicking into life, but idle does feel a little lumpy. I am right in thinking this is the headgasket is starting to leak, sending some coolant into one of the cylinders?

If it is the headgasket, I'll aim to change it myself. Anyone done this job on this engine, and anything gotchas to look out for? I've done HGs on other engines successfully, and this layout looks reasonably easy to deal with.

Reply to
Davemar

I'm not sure but I expect the Megane engine has wet liners. If so, you need to be careful when you remove the head that you do not take all the bolts out. Remove all but one and swing the head to break the seal. Otherwise you may pull one or more liners up and kill the seals, which will mean dismantling the liners and pistons.

Someone else may be able to vouch for this but it is a point to watch for.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Haven't checked whether it's wet liners or not, I suspect that it isn't on this one; but I'll bear in mind. When I did my Pug 205 engine, the liners were pretty much crudded up in place and hard to shift when I wanted to remove them.

Reply to
Davemar