406 Immobiliser problem

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here because with it being Sunday no one at Peugeot will answer the phone.

I have recently bought a 1996 406. The guy I bought it from forgot to give me the immobiliser code. This wasn't a problem as the key is coded somehow and as long as I start the engine quickly enough it works fine. The guy has been out of the country but has now sent me the code. I thought I'd try it out... I guess after the first failed attempt I shouldn't have bothered trying it another 2 times... I'm not sure if he's given me the wrong code or what but now it is beeping constantly and I can't start the engine?

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Ben.

Reply to
Ben

I left it for a while and it seems to have reset itself. It seems the code I have is wrong or doesn't work. Would it be expensive to have it found out/reset? I have no card or details of the immobiliser.

Cheers. At least I can start it now...

Reply to
Ben

Ok Ben am I right in assuming you are talking of the immobiliser with the number pad beneath the dash? If so, I seem to recall it had an option to program it so that the code was on the key (effectivly defeating the whole point imo, but that's by the bye). If you're starting it ok on the key, you are in the same situation as later

406 owners who don't have the pad to play with anyway.

If you're worried about only the key knowing the code, I believe certain key cutters can read them, so get a spare made(?)

Reply to
jim.

Maybe it was the radio code that he sent you? Tell him what happened and ask him again.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Thanks for the advice Jim, I'm not bothered about the key knowing the code. The problem comes when the key stops working and I can't start it. Also, if you don't start the engine within a minute or so the immobiliser comes back on - meaning I have to lock it, wait, and unlock.

I'm guessing that if I had a spare made I would have to somehow get it coded to the immobiliser...

Reply to
Ben

I believe coded keys can be reproduced, that's what I was trying to say. I like the other suggestion though if you do need to use the keypad. The previous owner will be your simplest bet and may have thought you meant the radio code. There is also something like a maintenance code (see the handbook) which is set when taking it in for service if you don't want em to know your code. He may have set it to that. I never had it on the key on my old 406 so have no idea of time available to start from key etc.

Reply to
jim.

Hi Ben

You are obviously not receiving private emails. I can provide you with the four digit workshop code for the 1997 406, which may or may not work on your car. Email me if you are interested.

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

My reply to address is a valid one, but I have sent you an email. If the code works I'll be very happy. Seems shocking though that such a thing even exists.

Thank you.

Reply to
Ben

All you need to do here is, with the ignition on, press the large plip button for a few seconds, while watching the engine management light on the dash. It should flash a couple of times. Then you can start the engine.

I wouldn't have thought key cutters could read the plip, which is where the code is stored. The only way I know is to get a plip from Peugeot (which can take five weeks as they come from France) and then get your dealer to cut a key blank. They do not need coding to the immobiliser when you get them as they already are. The dealer will need to know the number from your key which is on a paper tag inside the plip, to order it.

Reply to
Nigel