Metric & Imperial brake unions

When making metal brake pipes, are the end flares you would use (SAE & DIN/single or double) exactly the same regardless of whether the calipers you are fitting them to are Metric or Imperial (UNF or mm)?

tia

Reply to
Al

Yes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Interesting. Is that because, by some miracle of standardisation, the diameters and angles have been harmonised to be compatible, or because the flared couplings work by plastic deformation of the pipe, so that minor differences can be accomodated.

I guess the angles might be 45 degrees in both cases.

At the risk of awakening the Brexit nuts, the "Euronorm" harmonisation of standards across the EU was a real benefit to manufacturers and ultimately to all of us, as supply chains became more international.

Although I was always amused when my brother in law, as a pressure vessel inspector for an insurance company, sometimes had to assess rebuilt boilers on steam locomotives for preservation societies. His "goto" reference in these cases was an Imperial Indian Railways standard from the 1930's.

Reply to
newshound

Is it too much to hope that such things are globally harmonised? :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre
[...]

The motor industry has been a global one for a long time now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have no data but I am just itching to say "Apart from America"!

Reply to
Scott M

I think that is less true than formerly.

Remember they standardised OBD; it took Europe to discard that standard!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That's what I thought. But does that mean the European standard is, in fact, just a global one with a different name?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

globalisation was the ultimate aim of the E.U. but now it has been destroyed by people who know nothing but their own perceived loathing for anything not British.

Reply to
critcher

Globalisation has been the intent of several people/groups/nations over the years, it does not mean it is a desirable thing.

Reply to
MrCheerful

It's a carefully-contrived mechanism to divide, control and enslave the entirety of mankind. And the bastards *almost* got away with it.

Reply to
Chris

Trade is what enabled humans to progress from apes. Global trade just makes more stuff available. Several historical precedents for societies which tried to cut themselves off; in no cases did it end well.

Reply to
newshound

I don't perceive an intent to cut off from everyone/where, just get out of a bad, expensive, system over which we have no control.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Globalisation?

"a carefully-contrived mechanism to divide, control and enslave the entirety of mankind"

Can't see it myself.

Reply to
newshound

Din and SAE bubble flares are different. The DIN bubble (and fitting) have a more right angled shoulder, whereas the SAE bubble flares have more of a tapper (and the end of the male SAE fitting a slight internal taper).

Probably hard to visualise without a diagram. In copper at least, people seem to get away with SAE bubbles in DIN fittings. I think the form of SAE and DIN double flares are the same.

Reply to
jimzzr
[...]

Are you able to cite a source for this please?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

see

which has a nice pic showing the difference in bubble flares.

Also diag in this thread but source not attributed:

Subtle change and probably makes sod all difference if using copper.

Jim

Reply to
jimzzr

And even less when we leave. But will still be subject to it in many ways. Or starve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed!

Thanks for the info; I wonder how many garages are aware of those differences?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

generally a garage (nowadays) will buy the brake pipes correctly ready made for the application, and they don't get involved in repairs where non standard bits are used. So there is no real need to know.

Reply to
MrCheerful