trailer boards

Hello,

I borrowed a trailer to go on a camping holiday. I got there and back safely, only to crash the trailer when I tried to reverse it onto my drive! I broke the corner off the trailer board.

I would like to return it in the same condition that I borrowed it. As the damage is at the end of the board, I don't think filler would work; I worry it might fall out in the future with nothing to hold it at the one end.

There are lots of places selling new boards but since all of the lights etc are working, that just seems wasteful, but the only [place I can find selling blank boards is:

only they have a postage surcharge on long items!

Does anyone know where I can buy lengths of trailer board or what the plastic used to make them is called? If not, would a piece of 5x1 be just as good?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

A new complete board is so cheap it is not worth sodding about.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Most 5x1 wood does not have holes in it for the wires to run. :-)

Breaking the board but not the lights was an achievement.

Reply to
Michael Chare

eBay?

Can you shorten the board by an inch or two and move the lights across to match?

Would your friend notice?

Reply to
Fredxxx

you can buy plastic board for house guttering use in b and q.

Reply to
MrCheerful

By the time you've faffed around, you may find you wished you'd bought a new one- they aren't expensive.

However, if your really want to repair it:

Solid uVPC board or hollow cladding from places that supply for facias, window sills etc. I bought a 2.4m x 300mmx 10mm solid board a few weeks back for about £15 as I recall (it is useful for all kinds of things). The last trailer board bought, a year or so back, was about £20 off Ebay- pre-wired, complete with plug etc.

If you want to go the uVPC, look under 'Building Plastics' in your are or uVPC cladding.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If you can tidy it up reasonably neatly with filler, I would have thought that a few self tapping screws going through the board and keying into the filler (before it sets) would have stopped it falling out.

Reply to
newshound

Own up, and ask them what they want you to do.

If they realise later you've concealed it they'll never trust you again.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That's the most sensible suggestion in this thread.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Trailer boards are the flimsiest plastic. Filler would be absolutely no good at all.

Reply to
Scott M

Do you have all the bits?

Plastic welding? A soldering iron can stitch broken thermoplastic together.

Otherwise hot melt glue gun.

I see so many people leaving easily repairable bumper skins behind at the scene of the accident. One even had all the fog lights in it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

and those can be 100 quid each.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The OP said he was worrying about filler falling out. This implies that it might mostly be cracking which could be supported by a "plug" of filler in the hollow part. Boards are quite thick enough to support self tapping screws, particularly if inserted into filler in the core space.

Reply to
newshound

To answer a few replies in one go: I reversed the trailer and it jack-knifed into the wall. Any tips on how to reverse these things? It was too heavy top move by hand, especially as the drive is a downhill slope.

It caught the corner of the board but missed the lights. I am not going to hide this from the owner but I had hoped to say here is your trailer back, sorry I crashed it but I have repaired or replaced...etc.

I wasn't sure what type of filler to use. First I looked at the paste types like isopons p40 and p38 but then I saw their fibre glass kits. However some web sites suggest they do not stick to plastic due to thermal effects of differences in flexibility, so I'm not sure how permanent they would be.

Reply to
Stephen
[...]

If it's a small camping-type trailer, they are a nightmare to reverse as they 'break' so quickly.

There is no filler or resin that will effectively repair that type of plastic. If you have all the bits, try sticking it with a cyanoacrylate ('Superglue') adhesive.

Otherwise, replacement is the only realistic way to make things good.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes. Someone left theirs behind after they hit our hire car while we were at a removal (funeral service the night before the burial) in Ireland. Someone got his number though and he was a bit surprised when the Garda knocked at his door :) He'd been drinking.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The main thing is that the back of the trailer or something in/on it is high enough for you to see or that you have a reversing camera. After that it is just practice and gentle manouevres.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

first practice in an empty car park. the shorter the trailer the harder it is, get a short car and a long trailer and everything is easier.

As soon as you see the trailer is even slightly too much on the wonk, go forward and try again.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Learn how to back a trailer, it isnt that hard. Practice in an empty carpark etc where there is nothing to run into.

I'd prefer to be asked how I wanted it repaired.

And maybe would prefer to do it better than it was so the same thing can't happen again.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That was my thought. A clean apology with a promise to put right says a lot about a person.

I would probably buy another (cheap for the friendship) and keep the old one as a spare for myself, and if need be available for my friend (just in case!).

Reply to
Fredxxx