misfire

Does anyone know whether cylinder numbers are counted left to right or right to left? It is for a Megane 3dr uk rhd 04 plate.

I had a misfire in cylinder 1 a few months ago and replace the two outer edge ignition coils knowing that I need to replace them in pairs and will have replaced 1 and 4. Just not sure whether 1 would have been far left or far right.

Need to know cause I now have another misfire a few months on and think this will probably be either 2 or 3. Have ordered two more replacement coils but in the meadtime while waiting for that if I can find out which is which I will then be able to use my elm327 to check which one and then I know I still have one good coil left from when I did 1 and 4, so will be able to put that in until the new ones arrive. TIA.

Reply to
John

autodata says that number 1 cylinder is on your right as you look under the bonnet (1.6 K4M engine)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This makes me sigh for the days when you could glance through the windscreen, along the bonnet and check the temperature gauge about 3 yards away... And cylinder number one was at the front, where it belonged.

Reply to
Gordon H

Or at least number 1 was the furthest from the gearbox. or nearest to the starting handle.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The starting handle was your friend, whether adjusting timing or tappets. Just make sure your thumb is on the same side of the handle as your fingers when trying to start up though, in case it kicks back.

I was hospital for a week or two when I was in my teens, and in the same ward was a lorry driver who cranked his engine whilst standing on ice... Hernia.

Reply to
Gordon H