Misfire on Ka

Hi all,

After the aborted attempt to adjust the valve clearances at the weekend it now misfires intermittently independently of the engine speed. Another reason I gave up trying to adjust the clearances was that one of the spark plugs refused to unscrew, my breaker bar wasn't to hand and I didn't want to snap the top off it by using lots of force. The HT leads seem securely on the plugs and when I wiggle the leads / connectors with the engine idling the misfire still comes and goes completely independently of me moving them.

I don't really want to have to buy a timing light just to determine whether or not it's the spark plugs or the leads, is the most likely cause that stuck plug is now damaged or that one of the leads has broken inside?

It wasn't me who last fitted the plugs but a garage, how come they can get so tight given that you're only supposed to do them up to 15Nm or so? Methinks I'll put copper grease on the threads when refitting :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings

The plugs on these 100yr old pushrod engines are notorious for seizing in, try some penetrating oil/WD40 the night before you want to remove them & you should be to free them by the morning

Reply to
A C

It is very easy to crack the ceramic of a plug, when this happens you get all sorts of misfiring, so first step is replace the plugs. then leads, then coil pack.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ah, that sounds like a plausible explanation ;) I'd be surprised if it was the coil pack though given that I didn't go near it :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

OK, might just do that :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Trouble is that one HT fault can and does induce other faults (especially with modern supervoltage systems)!! EG: It is very common for people to fail to fit the ht leads correctly on Mondeos, this causes the need for a huge spark which then tracks elsewhere and burns the coil pack, so good luck.

It is quite surprising how much effect a cracked plug has, I did it on a pinto cortina years ago, it seemed ok-ish for a mile or two then started all sorts of coughing, running on three etc. it doesn't just stop running, it nearly runs, which feels worse!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

This was caught very quickly and it's only been driven a mile or two in that state, enough for the problem to exhibit itself and then for us to return home.

Yeah, it runs fine if you ignore the heavy judder, lack of power and strong engine braking effect :)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

1) You don't need to remove the spark plugs to do the valve clearances. 2) The misfire is most likely due to you incorrectly setting the valve clearances so it's either not opening or isn't closing when hot.
Reply to
Conor

You do need to remove them if you want to turn the engine over easily. Plus I wanted to check their condition.

I haven't set them yet.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Try some oil around the plug the night before and also try removing the plug with the engine HOT.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

It's because they seize in place. They have a 30,000 mile replacement but I utterly recommend you at least have them removed every 10,000 miles, ideally every 5,000 come to think of it.

I did this with me-laddo and the sparkies never stuck fast...

Reply to
DervMan

That seems like a good plan :)

I replaced them all this morning which appears to have fixed the misfire, 3 of them were tough to get out, and the stuck one was impossible still with my normal ratchet despite spraying penetrating oil round it last night. I had to resort to my breaker bar and it resisted all the way out. Turns out it may have been cross threaded, there's a significant break in the thread on the plug. Should I be annoyed with the garage that serviced it last? New one went in fine so I guess that means the thread on the head wasn't damaged that much.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Maybe! It depends if they are supposed to inspect the plugs in the service history. I asked mine to do it anyway... :)

Or at all...

Reply to
DervMan

The plugs were changed at the last service by them, I reckon that means it's their fault :)

Yeah, it's not leaking round the edge so I think I/they got away with that ;)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Right, it could be. I guess that may depend on what plugs.

Now some of the Ka Klub monkeys swore that XYZ ABC "high performance" plugs changed every 5,000 miles made all the difference, but it's snake oil. Ford's sparkies work just grand in the Endura-E. Kermy, subject to track days, drag strips, nav rallied, rolling roads etc. had no misfires, no nothing and simply had OEM plugs fitted every 30,000 miles and checked every

10,000 miles.

Reply to
DervMan

Ford dealer, standard Motorcraft plugs.

Yeah, I always buy parts from Ford now :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings