Mk 3 Fiesta Electric Problem

Hi ,

I have a mk3 fiesta (N reg) and i have a problem with the electrics recently, I find that when i press the brake the headlights come on , and if the car is running and press and hold the brake on i can turn the ignition to off and pull out teh key and the engine keeps running until i let the brake up.

Im guess its a short somewhere , i have checked all the fuses and there ok , Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem or knows where to look to try and solve this problem

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
BIGGERPLUM

Check the rear lights are working properly. A bad earth on the stop/tail bulbs can give those symptoms. Without a proper earth, the side and brake light feeds will start back feeding each other (was a common issue on escort vans caused by the bulb holders melting)

Reply to
M Cuthill

Wrong bulbs in the back can cause this.

Reply to
mrcheerful

check the filament in the bulb hasn't shorted across inside the bulb to the sidelight part of it.

Reply to
reg

Hi thanks for ur messages , Turns out it was a stop/tail light bulb ... a few months ago i put in some uni part bulbs and it looks like they were causeing the problem as i went down to halfords and bought some other bulbs and the problem has now gone!

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
BIGGERPLUM