Loud thunk coming from rear suspension

Hey all,

I've noticed recently a loud thunk coming from the rear suspension of my '90 with 104k. It occurs from about 20mph up with decent size road bumps; not whoops, but bumps cause it. Parking lot speed bumps do not cause it at low speed; I have not tried higher speed to see. Out of a driveway today I came off a curb, with the passenger rear dropping the

6 inches at roughly 5 mph, and the thunk occurred. I do not know if the driver rear dropping would cause the same.

Where should I be looking for a likely source? Anything else I can do to pinpoint it?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

How old are your shocks?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I don't mean to insult you, but is your battery tied down correctly?

Rick

Reply to
Dash Fieldpaint

Don't worry about insulting me Rick.

That's actually a good point. I've got a lead-acid back there and did the bracket mount mod discussed elsewhere, plus sealed the vents, etc. It never occurred to me. Gonna check right now...

Well I'll be damned. A few months ago I retrofitted a power antenna. I don't know what year it was from, but I needed to do a decent amount of modding to get it all kosher. It was not a straight pop-in. In the process, I removed the battery. But upon reassembly, I failed to replace the top bracket I fashioned to hold the battery down! In the meantime, the lower braces, which by friction had been holding the battery solid, have come a bit loose. The battery rocks by hand now.

I don't know if this is indeed the noise, I could swear it's coming from the suspension. But who knows! Sound can travel

Hats off to Rick's wacky suggestion.

Doug

Reply to
Doug