Mk5 Fiesta Won't Start

I?ve got a 2000 Fiesta 1.3 (pushrod lump). I was driving it to work when it cut out for a fraction of a second twice going downhill on the over-run. I got to the car park where it would run but kept cutting out under load. It eventually died never to run again.

The RAC said there was an intermittent spark and that either the crank sensor or coil pack may be faulty. I?ve replaced both and put on new leads but still no sign of life. The trip counter isn?t bringing up any error codes and the fuel pump whirr?s. Any ideas before I have the financially painful experience of towing it to a Ford dealer

Reply to
Shaun

i personally dont believe anything the RAC or the AA man says i think they just talk a load of crap to the customer(you) then tow you home or to a garage where someone like me can spend a bit more time looking into the problem

as for your problem is it cranking over as fast as normal? does the PATS light(next to the clock)flash rapidily? are the spark plugs ok(remove and inspect)

Reply to
ford_technical_

I think you are being perhaps a bit harsh. AA guys originally were recruited with minimum technical experience so they could be taught the "AA way". With various changes in ownership, and the increasing technical complexity of cars, recruits now have to have certain minimum qualifications. The "old school" patrols are gradually being "persuaded" to move to pastures new.

If the information you get is from the customer, does he always reliably tell you what the patrol has said?

My nearest independent garage has established an arrangement with a local AA man. On his days off he goes in to them and does their more difficult fault diagnosis!

Reply to
Chris Whelan

yes

no

The plugs were clean and gapped. There was no sign of fooding but I couldn't see any indication fuel was reaching the cylinders either

Reply to
Shaun

yes maybe i was a bit harsh on what i siad about the AA oh guy .i just like to double check what they say

ok so you've changed the CPS ,coil pack ,leads and happy with the plugs and if you've still got no spark then the only thing left on the ignition circuit is the PCM or the wiring coming from it to the coil pack or no signal from the CPS into the PCM

what we would do (main dealer)is ask you for 1hrs diagnoiss(appox £55 here but dunno about your local place)where i would check it had all the right inputs and outputs ,fault codes and take it from there ,maybe just a reproggrame

sorry but it doesn't look striaghtforward and looks like it will have to go to the dealer

good luck

Reply to
ford_technical_