Mocra oil filters

Bubble shape, K reg.

Last time I changed the oil filter on my daughters car it was a pig of a job - no room to manoeuvre, chain and strap wrenches used but very awkward, had to jack the thing up and crawl underneath.

There's obviously a knack and/or a tool for this

Any clues before I need to do it again? - my wife also has one of these amazing little cars, so I'm going to do this job quite a few times I think!

My ideal is park the car, let the oil out, get the filter off without fuss (or ramps/jacks!), screw the new one on, fill up with oil and bobs your uncle (worked a treat on a collection of VX cavaliers and astras)

Reply to
R. Murphy

I have a tool that fits on the end of the oil filter. I can't find a picture of the exact model but it is similar in action to this one.

It fit on to a 1/2" drive ratchet and as torque is applied, the jaws move to grip the filter.

A simpler version can be seen here

Such a device could possibly be fabricated in the home workshop.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've got a small car too, and it can be quite hard. The best way seems to be to turn the wheels, and the stretch to the oil filter and undo it by hand. If my one didn't come off by hand I'm not sure what I'd do, I've got a chain wrench, but I'm not sure whether there's enough room to get it there.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

the tool is called a 4 poster ramp. If you are doing it without ramps etc, then expect to struggle, cars aren't designed to be serviced without being on a ramp these days.

Reply to
SimonJ

I bought this very tool from Halfords when I encountered the same problem on my wife's Micra. It's rather expensive, but it works a treat. Have to have the car on ramps, though.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Berry

You could always buy a pick and shovel and dig a pit in the garage. I have one.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

No garage! - or at least can't get to it

Its a good thought though - we live on a hill, with the garages accessible to the rear of the house, accessed by shared drives between the houses. Mine is too narrow so the front garden is concreted over.

Concrete bases for the garages are very "thick" - a neighbour some years ago was able to simply remove the back wall of the garage, and install ramps on stilts at the other end to drive the car straight through onto - with the slope of the ground there's about 2 - 3 feet of height, and no digging!

My old cavaliers - and my current Astra - are neat - can get the drain under to drain the oil, and easily access the oil filter, with car on level ground and steering on full lock. Piece of cake.

Reply to
R. Murphy

It looks as if I won't get away without using ramps, but the tool looks as if it might do the trick - will look in Halfords etc. and see how it goes.

Reply to
R. Murphy