MONDEO 2000: Changing front brake discs. Rv!

Hi all, Just a quicky. I need to change the discs on the front on my X Reg, 1.8L Verona, and I would appreciate any advice as to particular tools I may need. Your advice will save me some time digging out the bits needed hopefully!

I expect the calipers will need removed and I believe these are held on with Allen bolts, Any idea of the size?

Your assistance and familiarity with this would be appreciated! :)

Rv!

Reply to
Rv!

If it's the one's I'm thinking off, they'll have a big spring clip on the outside that has to be levered off (getting it back on is another story!), then the two caliper slides need to be unbolted on the inside (7mm allen key)

Reply to
moray

In message , Rv! writes

As Moray says, its a 7mm allen key that you need to get the calipers off. You may find that the discs are seized onto the hubs. If they don't come off with a couple hefty thumps then I tend to reach for my angle grinder (a hacksaw will do) to cut them off. Just be careful when you cut close to the hub and be careful not to put a cut in the CV gaiter.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Also there's little retainer washers on one stud of each hub that you'll need to tap off before you can take the disc off.

Reply to
Conor

A follow up. Got the caliper and holder off no problem. Had a bit of a fight with the disc but it eventually realised my hammer was bigger than it's ego. Rust was causing the disc to refuse to slide off. WD40 and a wire brush assisted with this, but space is a bit limited!

The warped disc is now gone but.... The other one, the 15mm bolts on the caliper holder refuse to release. Anyone got any ideas on helping to get this off? Anyone around Edinburgh willing to help release it with an air gun?

Reply to
Rv!

Knuckle bar and a scaff tube?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And a good 6 sided socket otherwise its going to round off with that gear on it ;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin