Mondeo front discs

I need to change the front discs on my 1998 Mondeo. Can anyone let me know what problems I am likely to come accross and any tips ? How long is the job likely to take ?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Day

Have you got a 7mm allan key? Change the pads at the same time. Should take less than an hour.

Reply to
Marty

Theoretically, it's an easy job - goes roughly like this:-

1) Jack up front of car / insert axle stands.

2) Remove wheels.

3) Remove pads from caliper.

4) Remove caliper from hub and support on axle stand.

5) Undo disc retaining screw.

6) Pull disc off.

7) Apply HMP grease / Copperslip to hub and attach new disc.

8) Re-assemble.

The tricky part tends to come at (6). Having done this myself ,you'll find that thousands of miles of driving leads to a disc that is almost welded to the hub and often requires a large amount of Irish Screwdriver to remove....

Depending on how severe this is (you may be lucky and it comes off without too much difficulty) then you'll either have to whack the disc with a large hammer to free it off, or actually cut it off using an angle grinder.

If the disc comes off OK, you should do both sides in less than 2 hours. If not, it could take much longer :-(

Reply to
Neil Barker