Mondeo alarm

The alarm on my 2002 Mondeo keeps going off in wet weather. Apparently the bonnet switch is the most common culprit. The manual says the alarm is only activated if you press the lock button (or turn the key in the door) twice, but that's rubbish, the alarm goes off unless it's completely unlocked.

I think I can see where the wire connects to the bonnet latch; may have to get the grille off for easier access, but that's quite easy. My main question is do I have to short the plug or leave it open circuit to give the bonnet closed signal?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

There are only two options, try it. neither will hurt the alarm. First logical try would be: Disconnect and insulate the wire, most bonnet switches connect when the bonnet opens.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That makes sense, because doing it in the wet is more suggestive of a short than a break. Unfortunately the lock and some brackets need to come off as well as the grille for easy access and I haven't got time for that at the moment.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

can you see where the wire comes from and cut it at a place remote from the switch?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's a hole in the top through which I can see the connector and part of the wire, but there isn't enough room to get my fingers in to disconnect it. Some cutters might fit but I'm reluctant to do something so destructive, especially when I'm not 100% sure it's the right fix.

Reply to
Tony Houghton