Mondeo Coolant Change

I am going to have to do this. It was due last year, and I thought that I would find some place doing it as a "loss leader" before last winter, but I didn't.

The problem is that, if I do it outside the house, all the old coolant will drain straight into the garage (which is full of rubbish, not car!). Finding a place to do it is my problem.

How do get to a suitable drain point, and what type of anti-freeze/ additive do you need? There are so many types these days, all different colours. The water in the expansion tank looks

We are talking '97/P-reg' early Mk.2 with a 1.8 litre Zetec-E "silvertop" engine, BTW.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Cat litter tray, preferably unused....

Reply to
Tony Bond

bottom radiator hose, Ford sell a very good antifreeze, it is compatible with Ford cars, try that. it is pink.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The capacity of the cooling system is 6.6 litres. I tried Pets at Home, but they didn't have a litter tray for a Bengal Tiger.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Errrm, yeah....

Was thinking of the time I changed my Mondeo thermostat, I didn't actually drain the whole lot, but even so it almost filled the tray :)

Scrap that idea then.. :)

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra. Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath. At night the ice-weasels come...

Reply to
Tony Bond

I really ought to check and post the colour of the existing anti- freeze mixture. I have heard that mixing the wrong two types - even a small amount - is not a good idea.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

In message , Stephen Leak writes

As you have got a silvertop, I would imagine your car would use the older, standard blue/green antifreeze. The Orange stuff (now purple but that's another story) was introduced in 1998 when the blacktop was introduced. The two types are not interchangeable.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

My 97 Mondeo uses the Orange Stuff.

MattF