Mondeo in storage for approx 18 mths - what do I need to do to get it up and running?

All jargon is essentially a shorthand way of labeling stuff. While "femur" may be in common enough use as not to be considered jargon his particular use of "subframe" in this context is, IMHO, uncommon enough to be considered jargon as far as the general public are concerned.

A more appropriate comparison would be the term "medial epicondyle" which is medical "jargon" for "funny bone". I doubt if that many members of the public would be aware of what you were referring to if you called it by its "correct" term.

Basically, once you know the meaning of a term (in any trade) it ceases to be jargon. I was acting as a TA to some first year students during a problem solving session when several complained about the convoluted wording of the simulated report they were being asked to comment on and "solve". I can't remember the exact wording but it went something like this:

" 3mth primigravida, complaining of bitemporal hemianopia, periorbital pain, gynaecomastia and lactation. What further investigations would you suggest be carried out. "

Now, any medical practitioner worth his salt would recognize it as a classic problem posed by examiners and a favourite of professors when testing students. But because these were "newbie"students and had only been in med school for a few months they were overwhelmed by the terms above. Although it was explained to them that they would have come to terms with this type of language as they would be meeting it (and worse) throughout their career many were still rather resentful and even angry, feeling it to be unnecessary. Though when they were asked what alternative words they'd have used they were stumped and realised that there was rhyme and reason for that terminology being employed in that manner.

Heh, yes, yes, everything is "obvious" once you know what it means and how and where all the "pieces" fall into place :)

Please note that when I used the term "jargon" it was with air of someone bemused by the whole thing rather than someone seeking to criticise his use of words. I, of all people, know that sometimes there's no easy of avoiding the use of jargon.

Reply to
Richard Salters

Richard Salters ( snipped-for-privacy@hereplease.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I would disagree. What word would you rather see used?

As I said - because *you* don't understand it, doesn't make it "jargon". With all due respect, your domain knowledge here is around the level of somebody having to have the word "lung" explained to them.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, it is incredibly limited indeed.

However, I refer the right honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago - to Clive George :) In addition I would just add that if a reasonably educated cross-section of the general public is unable to follow the meaning of a paragraph then it probably contains "jargon". Remember, there are many intelligent and well educated people for whom RAM and "PCI card" are words considered as jargon.

Thank you for going to the trouble of explaining that. Not something many people would probably know - outside of those experienced in that type of thing. I'll take that into accouint when the time comes to buy a new car.

Just out of interest, how much of that bill would be for labour and how much for parts?

But possible (in theory) for a ruthless doctor to cut *his* losses and refuse to treat the patient in favour of a more profitable and "easier" alternative. That was was what I was alluding to.

Reply to
Richard Salters

That's precisely the point I was making: although it's pretty much jargon (for non-mechanically readers) there's a need for that word.

If a cross-section of reasonably well-educated people taken from a sample of the general public fail to understand the word (in its context here) would you not agree that it should be considered trade "jargon"?

That doesn't mean there isn't a need for its use. Just that it's outside the knowledge-base of the average "man in the street"

Perhaps it is, and I haven't made any claims to the contrary. In fact I've been rather upfront about my lack of knowledge in this field from the start. However, that in no way detracts from my authority to speak about the matter of "jargon". Later on today I'll ask a number of students, and other people if they know what a "subframe" is and how it relates to a clutch, etc. I doubt that many will know, unless they're car repair enthusiasts.

Reply to
Richard Salters

Richard Salters ( snipped-for-privacy@hereplease.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

May I refer you to my response to that?

Does that make those the wrong term, though? Jargon carries heavy implications of deliberately obstructive terminology to bar neophytes and preserve the mystique of an elite. While that's wrong, so's excessive dumbing down in the politically correct name of inclusion of the clueless.

Every car has it's foibles.

The parts will be around £100. It is, I gather, that bad a job.

Again, I'm not sure I see it quite that way.

Doctors don't get paid based on work done - they get a flat rate (AIUI) per patient on their lists, whether those patients are hypochondriacs living in the surgery waiting room or whether the patient hasn't had a sniffle in the last decade.

A garage invoices solely according to work performed - the only reason they have to turn down work is that they know the customer won't pay that much. More usually, they're accused of fabricating extra work (or at least invoices for extra work)...

Reply to
Adrian

That's *precisely" the point I was making when recounting the case of medical students confronted with what they regarded as unjustified use of "jargon"

Do you have a rough idea of how many hours of work it would take? (I'm just trying to work out per/hour rates for mechanics)

That's assuming they're solely NHS-only. While that may be true of some specialties such as paediatrics it's definitely not for others such as opthalmology, various branches of surgery. Even GPs are increasingly working as locums now.

Mind you, if I was getting £1000 for even a difficult job I don't know why I'd want to avoid it unless there were even richer and easier pickings to be had.

I know some doctors in private practice do this and even joke amongst themselves about this. How common is this in the garage trade?

Reply to
Richard Salters

Richard Salters ( snipped-for-privacy@hereplease.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A grand was a "round figure" - but any half-decent garage, especially in the SE, will be closing on £40-50/hr plus VAT. Double that for a dealer. Treble it for a dealer in a "prestige brand".

If you can keep the workshop busy on "easy" jobs, where the customer's not going to raise hell at the bill, and where there's a much lower chance of it being thrown back at you in the future for problems arising, why make life difficult?

Of course, nobody actually wielding spanners is going to be personally seeing *anywhere* *close* to that amount... Nobody's getting rich in the garage trade.

Not as common as is sometimes claimed, but more common than it should be.

Reply to
Adrian

As you may be deducing, this sort of thing is economic for DIY, provided you have the skill.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

In news:tmike.114610$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Tony Bond (UncleFista) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

things ya learn, eh?

To be honest, I've never owned a Mondeo - or anything with a Zetec engine in - so didn't know about that little nugget. I know they use slightly obscure oil, but as National have happily done an oil and filter change on the 911s I've had [1], I figured a Mondeo wouldn't be a major issue.

[1] Dry sumped, near enough 10 litres of synthetic oil, check level with engine running and warm oil. [2] [2] Quite a performance..
Reply to
Pete M

like

Similar job to a vectra, just need to fit the relocating pins to the subframe before removal.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

£1000!!! Jesus!! I did a V6 ST200 a bit ago and that was around £300 4cyl are easier.

I used the subframe pins and the alignment was spot on.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

If I have that problem I'll call you then squire :)

Reply to
Richard Salters

That is not jargon. It is the correct name for the component. Jargon would be along the lines of "Just had 4 new boots on it and has 6 months rent and tit" meaning that its just had four new tyres on it and comes with 6 months tax and MOT.

THe last T reg Mondeo I bought cost me £1000 at auction just over 12 months ago and even then was on the pricey side.

Reply to
Conor

Would you consider calling a part of the human body by its proper name as using jargon?

Reply to
Conor

Definitely, in some circumstances !

Take the example I already gave: the proper medical term for "funny bone" is "medial epicondyle". But how many people do you see saying: "ouch, I've bumped my media epicondyle!" ? :)

And nor have I seen anyone say: "Doc I have a problem with my media pterygoid" when complaining of difficulty or pain when chewing. -:)

Reply to
Richard Salters

It may not be jargon to you but to a layman it may well be. It can simultaneouslybe the correct name *and* jargon.

For example if I referred to "levator anguli oris"I would simultaneously be using a correct medical term to refer to a facial muscle while also using what most laymen would consider to be medical jargon. So the two are not mutually incompatible.

Reply to
Richard Salters

Personally if I don't know what something is then I either look it up or ask someone who does. I don't go round suggesting that the entire field is wrong for using the right name. Then again it would seem that unlike you, I don't expect to be spoonfed information and am capable of doing reasearch.

Reply to
Conor

I agree, but cars were so much simpler in the days before ECU's, ABS, TC, p/s, etc. Modern cars are much more daunting to work on. Being more complicated there's more opportunities for cocking things up. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Are you available for parties??

Reply to