Mondeo mileage

I have a 1.8 1998 Mondeo petrol - what sort of mileage should I expect on a full tank, consisting mainly of local and main road driving, and about 15% of which is high-speed motorway mileage?

I'm currently getting around 380 miles - is this good?

Reply to
ScoobyDoo

I think it's ok - how many litres does it take to fill it up, on average? You should probably expect to average 33-36mpg, depending on your right foot.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No, not particularly.

I'd tend to expect around 450miles to a tank with average" driving. Motorway only tends to get around 500-550 miles. That's in my 1997 1.8.

Haven't got the a/c on, have you?

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Indeed, if you put the a/c on you might lose 15 miles per tankful.

The arriving at your destination sweaty, irritable and generally pissed off as opposed to fresh and happy with a/c is well worth it for an extra 15 miles per tank.

Reply to
Pete M

In message , ScoobyDoo writes

You really need to do a proper mpg figure, starting on a full tank and then recording how much fuel it takes to fill it back up again.

The Mondeo has a 13.4 gallon tank and if you were running it bone dry you would be getting 28mpg. If however there is still two gallons left when you fill up, that means you have used 11.4 gallons which works out at 33mpg. You can see that is important to know how much fuel you are using to get an accurate mpg figure.

I get 35mpg from my 2.0 Mondeo which is 85% motorway cruising and 15% town driving.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Not strictly comparable, but I get 50 mpg from my 2 litre 02 Mondeo. This is up from 40 mpg before I fitted an Inforad (this is not spam - I don't sell them). If you don't know what an Inforad is, it's a gadget that tells you where speed cameras are.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Ok, I just filled up with 55.66 litres and since the last fillup I have travelled 363 miles, that equates to 391 miles/60 litres. Previously I would get around 430-440 miles/60 litres but that was when I was doing a regular journey whereas now I do more local driving and heavy motorway driving. All in all, I guess its not too bad, just wanted to know what mpg or miles/60 litres everyone else was getting?

Reply to
ScoobyDoo

And people have given you rough ballpark figures. Miles per 60 litres isn't exactly a standard measurement. Miles per gallon is, hence why people use it. Ask google how many litres there are to a gallon, and work it out yourself.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You should get around 36MPG average.

Reply to
Conor

Not the best, Scoob, I'm afraid !!

I (still) have my 2.0 Ghia X, 1997 Mk.II with the Zetec-E petrol engine. I can routinely achieve 400 miles to a tank, with a mixture of fairly lively M4 Motorway and around-town driving. The trip computer indicates an average mpg around 33.5.

I've noticed that using the right 5W/30 oil, together with actually getting the timing right when I changed the cambelt (D'oh!) makes a difference to both power and economy.

Having said all this, the 1.8 engine probably has to work that extra bit harder, and therefore uses about the same amount of fuel in the process. But I'd still expect your car to see over 400 miles / tank. Brim it, then zero the trip counter, and run it down until the amber LED has been on for a while!!

:)

Rgds

Al

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Sounds alittle on the low side as my 1.8 Focus with 60 litre tank will do

420miles doing roughly the same type of driving...

Have a quick exhaust emission check. If it fails , then look potentially a dead o2 sensor- which will knock about 10-15% off economy.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..