Mondeo - what do you reckon?

Hows this sound?

1998 FORD MONDEO 1.6i LX 5dr Hatchback, R reg. Petrol + LPG!!! Purple, Electric front windows, Radio&Cassette Player with MP3 adaptor, high motorway mileage, new cam belt, new battery, central locking. Very economical (42p per liter Auto-Gas). MOT & TAX. 995. Price: 995

Gonna go and have a look at it on Saturday, mileage is pretty high (155000) but it is cheaper than the other ones I've seen advertised and it had the cambelt done 7000 miles ago. Apparently the LPG conversion was done in Poland! He's got the certificate though and the insurers are happy with it. What do you think, dodgy?

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Sounds overpriced and underpowered compared with the example further down the page:

SteveH

Yeah that one does look a bit better but it's top of the budget and further away from me. I'll probably go and look at it anyway, but it's trade so I can just ring him up on the day I assume. Only thing is being 2 litre it'll use more fuel and this is _strictly_ an economic purchase. :)

Would be nicer though, insurance is only 50 quid extra compared to the

1.6...
Reply to
Tom Robinson

Thing is, it probably won't use more fuel. The Mondeo is a big, heavy car for a 1.6l engine, meaning it'll need caning to get anywhere near the performance you'd get from a 2lt driven with more care.....

Anyway, surely you'll be running on LPG most of the time? - the difference in this case will be completely negligible.

Do it, YKIMS. Poverty models rarely make sense. Especially as the Zetec has aircon and it's also had a new clutch - something that's stupidly expensive to do on a Mondeo.

Wave a grand in cash under his nose.... Xmas is on it's way and he'll be desperate to shift it.

Reply to
SteveH

The trim under the dash falls to bits if you shag in the passenger seat.

Reply to
Doki

1800 is the most economical of the Mondeos IIRC, and not terribly slow. According to Honest John (who may or may not be talking out of his rectum), the 1.8 is also the only one you should convert to LPG. But in my mind, you only convert a car to LPG if it has a massive engine.
Reply to
Doki

Any Zetec E, or S, or SE *must must must* be fitted with flash lube kit else you'll get valve recession and be doing a head job every ~30k or so- so check the Mondeo's you are looking at for such a system!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What on earth is a flash lube kit?

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Nah you can convert Smarts to LPG if you really feel the need.

There's one that bombs around York.

Reply to
DervMan

On 2 wheels?

Reply to
SteveH

I think it stops on two! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Thanks for the very useful tip. How do I tell (by looking) if the car has one fitted? How much would fitting cost, if I buy the kit from greenfuel.org.uk for 40 quid? Would I need to get one fitted straight away or could it be left a bit (depending on how many miles covered since conversion obviously)?

Reply to
Tom Robinson

That's about as good an idea as a diesel getaway car.

Reply to
Doki

Oh, I don't know.

I reckon a Phaeton V10 TDI would be a pretty damned good getaway car.

Reply to
SteveH

Only if you've warmed it up beforehand. Imagine sitting there waiting for the glowplugs...

Reply to
Doki

How long does it take to get back the conversion costs? For bloody ever.

Reply to
Doki

Makes a change from bloody foxtons with their mini coopers round here. And now every other estate agent as well.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Dude, you _seriously_ need to update your opinions.

The Smart is for an estate agent. Makes sense from a financial perspective. It spends all of its time darting about the narrow streets of York and the chappy in it puts up and takes down "For Sale" signs. It's decorated in the estate agent livery, too.

Reply to
DervMan

Would you really buy a house from an estate agents that was so un-successful that they couldn't afford to run a car? I mean, really...?

Reply to
DanTXD

W12 would be better all day long every day. Without shadow of a doubt.

Reply to
AstraVanMan