Primera UK mpg's

I have a 99 2.0s 4 door saloon primera.

I am averaging 300 miles on a full tank of petrol (50ltrs).

I do mixed driving, mainly short runs, less than 10mns and other driving of

+10mns daily.

My question is, do other uk primera drivers get the same return as me?

TIA Mike

Reply to
mike

I have a 1.6 92 Primera and I get about 32mpg on mixed town and motorway driving on a daily 40 mile round trip and I don't hang about on the motorway.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Your mileage will vary quite a lot with your length of journey more than anything. Speed doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same effect as distance travelled in my experience with 2 Primeras over the last 5.5 years. The Primera engine doesn't like being cold, it drinks petrol until it's warmed up, then it's more economical than most 2.0 petrol engined cars

Over a 90,000m ownership my '94 2.0 Primera averaged 37.5mpg on a 20m each way commute that was half motorway and half 50mph country roads. A 300m mainly motorway run would get 40-42mpg even fully loaded 75-80mph. In town and short runs would get it down to 30mpg ish but would be more variable than longer journeys and I never used it anywhere as congested as London.

My recently acquired '97 2.0 Primera seems to be similar to my '94 but possibly not quite as good at fast motorway speeds, so far only getting 38mpg fully laden on a fast run but the jury's out until I've had it longer.

It's 3-7 mpg better on petrol than people at work's cars who do the same journey as me at the same speeds (there isn't much choice of speed, you have to go with the flow on the roads round here), that's a 'V' 1.8 Focus, an 'M' 1.8 Mondeo a 'H' Toyota MR2 and a '51' 2.0 Mondeo.

Reply to
Steve B

I don't live in a congested area. My wife mainly drove the car and I used it once every 3 weeks, but I've been made redundant and I am driving it more and thought that 300 miles with a full tank was crap.

What is the formula of working mpg's out. I think it is 50 litres divide

4.4 = 11.36 gallons. Then divide 300 with 11.36 = 26.40 mpg's.

Is that right?

Reply to
mike

More or less. 4.54 litres = 1 gallon. Probably needs a tune up to get your mpg up a bit. The ignition timing made quite a difference to mpg on my '94, I set it to the max advance 17deg (the spec is 13-17deg).

Reply to
Steve B