L Reg Nissan metallic noise

Hi,

I am occasionally hearing a metallic noise when driving, it has only happened a few times and only started in the last couple of days. It isn't doing it at a specific time (not when braking or changing gear). Does anyone have any clues what it could be? It is a 1.3 petrol (16v) and has done about 65k. My exhaust looks fine (though I haven't tried wobbling it), braking is fine and it is accelerating fine too. Have checked oil and water and they are both fine.

Thanks

Hannah

Reply to
hannahwalkersharpe

is it a scraping noise or rattling noise ? rattling could be the catalytic converter rattling away in its housing, scraping noise could be the brakes pads catching the discs.

Reply to
reg

kind of scraping, but the brakes seem absolutely fine, wouldn't I have noticed a decrease in their efficiency if it was my pads? Can I check them without taking my wheels off?

Reply to
hannahwalkersharpe

Not really, the wheel obstructs the caliper enough to make it difficult to view, especially on fat alloys and steel wheels. Whip the wheels off and check.

You might not have noticed the difference because the pads were that worn anyway, and now you're down to metal, it doesn't feel that much different. If you can't be assed, give it to a garage. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Could just be a piece of grit caught in the pads. If so, the problem will disappear after a few more miles.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable