Mondeo misfire problems

Hi all, I hope you can help me please.

I have an 'S' reg Mondeo 2.0L with 82K on the clock. It has been running well for the past 4 years, very reliable so no complaints until now. A few days back I was in the West Country and hit a large puddle, all was fine until the next day when after few miles I had a nasty misfire. I stopped at the nearest garage and saw that the HT leads were a bit wet on the inside where they interface to the plugs. I duely dried these out but the problem remained albeit reduced.

Looking through the Google groups I see the recomendation to change plugs and leads which I have done. I initially used Halfords leads (ugh!) but swapped these for Bosch type today. The whole problem is much much better but is still present under load such as going up hill. I have had a clean up of the coil (where the HT leads start from) but it has not cured the problem. BTW the plugs are NGK set to 1mm gap (thanks for that tip from et al).

So, what can I do next? The gel business? Where exactly does one apply that and where does one buy it? I read also that the CAT may be shortened in its lifetime but unburned petrol (already replaced that once 4 yars back!), but there is no rattle from there as yet.

Reply to
ian.illy

In message , snipped-for-privacy@go4.it writes

Oops! Two mistakes in a row. Stick with the original Motorcraft leads on these engines.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

If you went through a big puddle on the passenger side you may have probs,the air intake is under the plastic wheelarch liner and if the water has got past that maybe it has been sucked into the engine. Try

they know there stuff.

Reply to
simondo

Thanks for the idea there however it was OK for miles and miles after the puddle and any water would have to get past the air filter itself would it not?

Doing all the work on the electrics certainly seems to have got rid of

99% of the problem but it is still there especially when the egine is warmed up. I think someone else suggested that as the mixture gets leaner when warm it is more difficult to ignite so the spark gets 'lost' before it reaches the cylinder.
Reply to
ian.illy