mondeo power steering leak

Hi,

just looking for advice/confirmation really.

I have a Ford Mondeo 1.8TD Nov'98

It looks like the power steering has sprung a small leak. Two pipes come to a small heat exchanger at the front of the other two exchangers behind the front grill. the exchanger has fins on the top side and a plain pipe at the bottom. it appears to be leaking from the top right hand side (when looking from the front) which is not near any connection. Doesn't look too hard to replace. Have I identified this item correctly? anyone also had this? how much do you think the part will cost?

Any constructive comments welcomed.

Cheers

Reply to
Paulie

Power steering fluid cooler.

Part is only available from Ford dealers, £45-ish (can't remember whether that included VAT), it comes with new metal unions already fitted so you don't need to buy them seperately.

Easy job to change, good luck ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

thanks mate, will go order it now.

Reply to
Paulie

"Paulie" wrote in news:dsabci$513$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

I've never known a cooled PAS system. Sure it isn't an oil cooler?

Reply to
Stu

The message from Stu contains these words:

Not uncommon, though it's often just a loop of pope (typo!) running round the engine bay into the slipstream. That's how the Montego did it

- just ran to under the front crossmember and back.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King wrote in news:313030303432373943E8D6BB11 @zetnet.co.uk:

Ah, right. Never realised there'd be enough friction to generate that kind of heat.

Reply to
Stu

Same on the mondeo, a loop of steel pipe[1] running in front of the rad ;)

[1] It does have some "fins" stuck to it, but exactly the same deal...
Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Stu's post never showed up on my thread just saw it when Guy replied?

Reply to
Paulie

Have ordered it £47

will fit on weekend when it arrives