Mondeo Tappets

Hi all, 1st posting so please be gentle :-)

I've a Mondeo, 1996, Series 1, 2.0 litre 16v engine which now sounds like an old typewriter at all RPM's. A distinct clicking noise is evident from start (hot or cold) and remains evident up abaove 3500RPM.

I'm led to believe that the hydrauluc tappets could be the cause - anyone with more knowledge than me able to confirm this or indeed offer possible alternative causes.

The car has just been in for a service at a Ford garage last week and they stated that the noise was due to the timing belt tensioners needing replacement (causing the timing belt to 'slap' against the timing belt cover). Well guess what, I've just collected the car yesterday after having the tensioners, timing belt etc changed it's very apparent that the noise is still very much there - seems the noise was not casued by the timing belt.

Anyway, before the engine is opened, I'd now like some small reassurance that the cause is indeed tappets related. BTW, the garage stated that the engine oil level was very low at the service - could this be the cause of the tappet noise. If so, should the noise have ceased once the oil was replenished?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reply to
Freddy

In message , Freddy writes

Was the belt due for change anyway? If not I'd be pressing the garage for a partial refund for their incorrect diagnosis. I'm a little sceptical of the low oil claim because I reckon most garages would just drain the sump without checking the dipstick beforehand.

You don't say what mileage the car has or if it has previously had the correct grade of oil used (very important on your engine).

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Car has done 86K and has always been main dealer serviced. Oil always supplied by garage - one would hope that it was the correct grade?

The belt had previously been changed at 45k due to failing tensioner (mmm, sounds familiar). As to a partial refund for their incorrect diagnosis, well that side of the tale is ongoing.

Reply to
Freddy

I was going to say that it sounds like the car has had very infrequent oil changes and has worn valve-gear as tappet rattle in the Zetec E is *very* rare. However, it sounds as though this cannot be the case and more detaiiled investigation is needed as it would seem the tappets are being starved of oil pressure. I would get this looked at pretty soon before you have bigger problems.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.