Montego headlights not dipping

Its a Montego Estate -, lights work but don't dip (blue light stays unlit on the console) though they will "flash". Are we talking faulty relay? Anything else I could check? Many thanks

Reply to
Catullus

thats a tough one.

Reply to
k&mautomotive

I remember having this a few times when they (Montego/maestro) were common. The headlight flash is powered from a different source to the 'normal' headlight power.(which is why it still works) If I understand you right, you have not got dip or main beam? IIRC when you remove the headlamp/dipswitch assembly you will find a burnt pin on the connector, both the switch and the wiring need to be replaced. I used to add a relay so that the new bits didn't get fried.

The fault is originally that all the headlamp power comes through the one connector and it isn't tough enough.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

If not external to the switch, you'll find it melted inside. Like you, I ended up slaving a relay to do dip and main 'cos I got fed up with Montegos and Maestros melting the switches.

Reply to
Guy King

Most likely the indicator stalk has a faulty switch contact.

Reply to
Conor