MOT

Any recommendations for good MOT testing stations in the Cleveland area? My local garage, which was within walking distance, has closed down so that some developer can make vast sums of money building poncy flats for yuppies.

Ideally, I want someone who won't suggest that I need a new Lambda sensor, catalyser, new discs, tyres, wiper blades etc etc (unless necessary of course). I very much doubt the accuracy of these emission tests anyway, and also the skills of the operators. For instance two years ago, the Lambda reading on my car was 1.04 (limit 1.03). The outfit charged me for a new sensor and guess what - 1.04 again. After a second run, it passed at 1.03 - I guess they felt sorry for me after relieving me of a total of £407.65.

Last year, the car sailed through - Lambda 1.004. This is why I question the accuracy and repeatability of this and other emission tests. For instance, what is the probable error on a Lambda test. Is it +/- 0.001 or

+/- 0.01. When and how are these analysers tested? I can't help feeling that some garages are using these tests as a licence to print money. It's not easy to dispute emission test results, as with tyres, discs, corrosion etc, without expensive test gear. I just hope that this year I can obtain a certificate for the basic cost, instead of being ripped off yet again. Just to be on the safe side, I'll give it 10 miles at 70 before the test!

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

The lambda value is calculated from the other measurements taken during the test, such as CO, CO2, O2 and HC. The test is machine is calibrated every

30 days from memory, using a certified sample gas to ensure accuracy of the measured values. Once this calibration is complete, a results sheet is printed out which should be kept for inspection at the Ministry's request. Before every test, a leak test is carried out on the sample hose to ensure that no air is drawn in from the atmosphere to dilute the sample.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Brill, why doesnt the group set up a UK database of such places. Better still develop a rating system for all MOT stations.

Reply to
RMckay4631

Try Heatpac, Snowdon road in M/bro, always been fair to me...

Reply to
jb

National have a half-price MOT offer at certain branches until 31 Dec. Their website quotes £19, but it's actually £21 due to a recent price increase. They'll also do an oil/filter change for £10 or £15 semi-synthetic and a free safety check. At these prices, it's not worth getting your hands dirty. Must be popular - my booking is for next week.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

For the oil : Make sure you've not got a newish (I.e. 5-6 year old) Ford. If so, even if they can get they correct oil filter (don't list one for

2.0 Zetec), they'll use the wrong grade oil. They only stock 10-40 (when I went in couple of months back).

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

But last years test resulted >If so, even if they can get they correct oil filter (don't list one for

My car is a Nissan Almera. Haynes recommend SAE 10W/30 to 15W/50 to API SG/SH or better. I really don't see how the specification can be so critical as long as it falls within this range. If this were so, you'd have to use a different grade of oil for summer & winter! I've run at least four cars well over 100K without engine problems, and usually on the cheapest multigrades I could find. The most important factor is to change the oil regularly.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Err that was a year ago. Quality of fuel ? You say no adjustments were made to the engine - I beg to differ, the adaptive learning system in the ECU will have been changing something.

Reply to
Mark Craft

The Zetec engines are _very_ critical for oil thickness. They used to recommend 10-40, but a lot of engines were ending up with sticking valves etc. All Ford engines (newish ones anyway) now have to use 5/30 oil. I know I had a problem with a sticking valve until Ford changed their recommended oil spec.

For UK use, there's no range (AFAIK!) of oils to use, just the 5/30. Even the 1.3 HCS engines in the Fiesta and Ka, if made recently, AFAIK will require 5/30 oil.

The danger for me was negligible though, because they didn't even list an oil filter. If I had a 1.6, or a Focus, or a 1.8, or any other modern Ford, they're using the wrong spec oil.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith