MOT failure

Hello group, my oct 2000 focus has just failed its first MOT due to failing the emission test, could someone please give me possible causes for this? i understand it is to do with the cat converter but should this be failing on a 3 year old car? thanks........

Reply to
Alan

Miles, emission readings, servicing history, any drivability problems? ??????

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Alan" wrote in news:9p0ab.9361$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

Alan, you should check for warranty at your dealer. I don't know about the UK, but here in Canada and the USA the warranty on cat.converters is quite long. Below is quoted from Consumer Guide.

The federal government requires two other warranties. The Exhaust Emission Warranty extends for 2 years/24,000 miles for emission- related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and any on-board diagnostic device. The Passenger Restraint Warranty covers seat belts and airbags for 5 years/50,000 miles.

Reply to
vince candline

Lots of possible causes, like a faulty oxygen sensor for example (not too expensive). Like the other poster said, we need more details.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

Reply to
Alan

well I have my doubts if he did it for free then OK but I think its a way of making extra dosh on the MOT did they charge for the cleaner? I don't think a wire brush is good for sensors either may be he cleaned his measuring equipment with the wire brush cos it was coked up from being poked up exhausts if it had been up a dirty car prior to yours it would take two readings or so to adjust as it would still have some of the dirty gas in it

Reply to
Big Man 7