MOT fail / emissions.

Am I meant to get the violin out or something?

Her dad has absolutely f*ck all to do with your perversion for fobbing your extended family off with some of the most horrendous heaps of crap known to man. Then posting about them with an OCD-esque obsession.

Reply to
SteveH

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:40:45 +0100, SteveH drooled like a moron :

Do please remind us of which cars are on your fleet, and how much you've spent on your oh so reliable Italian shitheaps , including selespeed gearbox repairs, over the last few years....

Reply to
Barb Dwyer

Quite.

Don't worry, SteveH has always blown hot and cold (with me especially), often when he tries to post to Usenet after a half of shandy. ;-)

Also everything is s**te unless he owns it, then it's brilliant and obviously makes you a petr////d*****ad.

Does he still run the Primus or have they got him back on delivery's in the van now?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[...]

Yep!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:44:33 +0000, Chris Whelan ventured forth with:

What a small world! Very good pair of chaps, the older guy tested my Mazda the other week. As you say, they charged me full price, but the retest was free within the 10 days.

Reply to
Mike P

Amazingly so.

His name's Terry. I know him through my stepson, who used to be an AA patrol and seems to know everyone in the local garage trade.

As you are clearly local, do you remember an accident a few years ago in Bracknell where a motorcyclist was pulling a wheelie as he approached a junction, and a car pulled out of the junction? The rider and both people in the car died, and it was quite well-known at the time.

The rider was the original owner of Drift Road MOT (and the ex-husband of a neighbour). At the time, it looked like it was going to close, but Terry and his mate took it on.

Terry's attitude is always about trying to get you a pass within the limits of the rules, rather than trying to fail it. He's a real nice guy, and there's not too many of those in the trade.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

These were the emissions results (FWIW and for those in the know etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 21:27:18 +0000, Chris Whelan ventured forth with:

I do remember the accident yes. Very sad.

Yes. He also tested my Focus back October. It passed. The washers were iffy. "well, there's water coming out, so I could give an advisory for poor performance, or you could just fill them up from that tap over there before you leave the site...."

There is some rot on the Mazda. As I'd talked to him for a while and he knows I do all my own repairs, he took me under the ramp and pointed out the one advisory - a manky drop link bush. He said that there was no play in it, so he wouldn't fail it, but give it an advisory. I asked him about the rot, and he measured it, and told me exactly how far it was from important places, so it could pass...

He even put it on the brake rollers three times to try and get a pass, it couldn't scrape a pass though. Gave me a free retest once I'd stripped and cleaned all the calipers.

Great place, and I recommend them to all around here.

Reply to
Mike P

More likely to be the Lambda sensor. Check it's output swings between

0-1V. If it's stuck then it's dead and a cat can't work on a mixture that far out - though it can kill the cat. Has to be very hot, about 3-5miles 40mph but if it needs a longer DC/M-way run at 60+ to get going then the heater or heater circuit is duff.

At least is was for me. When I got mine out [1], it had a major "I'm borked" rattle. The 10 year 100K mile old one I had put by from a car I scrapped 2 years ago also had a slight rattle but is working.

7% CO, On testing my ECU refused to go into closed loop (with +/-5% mixture control limits). Replaced lambda, hoover air filter, re-test 0.023% CO but I think they bodged a hole in the front nearside corner of the back box on re-test!

I don't think hoovering the filter did much.

[1] sheared a 3/8" drive extension as I used a big breaker bar and needed a jub clip round the socket. Had to put the Britool 3/8" adaptor on the lambda scocket and thread a longer 1/2" extension though the brake pipes on the abs.
Reply to
Peter Hill

The problem now is the car isn't MOT'd, nearly out of TAX and not with me ... and it's not stopped raining since ...! ;-(

This was the thought with the cat on her Rover. Take it out and see if it's dust (then the odds on it being a contributor to the issue would be the higher) but it would all cost to find out.

Result. ;-)

Oh.

I took the filter out the kitcar the other day and noticed it had 2005 written on it. I put it back because it still looked like new. ;-)

Ah.

So, for good or bad she hopes to pick up an R reg 'well maintained'

1250 Fiesta after it's been freshly MOT'd tomorrow (to make sure it goes though any 'tighter' emissions tests). My mate who runs his own garage and has maintained it since 2001 has picked it up and is driving it about himself at the moment. He told me on IM last night that it's running fine and I know there is no way he'd palm anything off onto any of us if it wasn't reasonable (for it's age / miles etc). Well, he hasn't in the nearly 30 years I've known him that is. ;-)

The Rover still sits on daughters drive though and if it wasn't for the list of things that need looking at (even outside the MOT fail / advise stuff), and a bit of hindsight I'd be more keen to get further involved and see if we can sort it out.

The body is pretty tidy though and no rust was mentioned if someone in Herts wants themselves a project or spares for £150 (scrap value). It had a new head gasket a couple of years ago and some headwork done.

Cheers, T i m

T i m