MOT for driver?

Ok, if not giving reduced insurance premiums as a carrot for taking regular driver training/test, then use something else as a carrot. Tesco vouchers, discount flights or anything that might appeal to the masses.

Also wouldn't do any harm is we insisted on a UK driver training and test for anyone wanting to drive over here for more that a few weeks. Not just outside Europe and allowed to drive for a year before a UK test needed, but anyone who has not taken a test in this country and staying longer than for a holiday.

Reply to
Mark

They introduce new and badly thought out regulations to solve problems that never existed in the first place. Your original MOT for driver suggestion was exactly that. You even admit that "We have the highest standards of driving in the world" (or am I getting you confused with another poster?), so where's the need to change anything?

Then your work is over. It's been around for years.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke wrote: You even admit that "We have the highest

You are. Me.

The quote is from an US manual which may be (currently) found by googling "POLICY AND PROCEDURES FOR THE PPCIG VOL II, OVERSEAS" (if you don't mind clicking US military links...). I found it a very interesting document.

Actually it says (p.246)

"UK provisional license (learners permit) and UK operators license (drivers license) may be obtained, but the process is costly and the exams are generally regarded as the most difficult in the world."

OK, not the "highest standards", but that is life....

Reply to
Adrian C

Hi I would agree I think checking up on the way people drive would be a very good idea, say everyone needs to take a driving test every 5 years or so. Im sure this would point out some drivers who are not road fit and therefore possibly saving lives in the process.

There is a good link about MOT if you are unsure you can find it here you should be able to copy and paste it.

'Cheap car insurance for young drivers'

cruisingcar08

the focus on the car and zero on the driver?

cause the UK car industry depends on the MOT to take old( >3 yrs) cars out of circulation by making them a hassle to keep.

all this talk about the environment and recycling...and then we send perfectly usable cars to the crusher, only to be shipped out for smelting at some coal powered furnace in China, just to make steel for our factories to make new cars.

no one cares about the real environmental cost as long as the polluted environment is far away in another continent!

Reply to
got1tiel

the focus on the car and zero on the driver?

I've got to take my '98 Rover for an MOT this morning and was thinking about the suggestion that the test was changed to every two years. Despite the fact it's a PITA, if Im honest, I prefer the idea of having a professional cast a knowlegeable eye over my car once a year. Let's face it, it keeps every road user safer.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I saw some pretty crap driving at around 3pm yesterday. Woman in a big Merc MPV sat on my rear bumper for ages (30-40 mph zones, loads of cars in front of me etc). Drives past me on a very short length of dual carriageway and as she cuts back in, undertakes a car at some amber flashing crossing lights (and there were people still walking across). I came up behind her at the next set of lights and did take her reg etc (and she was watching me do so in her side mirror). She then did a bit of bus lane, 40 in a 30 before going through some red lights and away.

Probably late for the school pickup ...

Reply to
T i m

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

#Leprosy... #I'm not half the man I used to be...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

:-)

Funniest one this week!