MOT query

The temp. screens were extra long and you closed the doors over the ends, I have got one in the garage, it saved my sister an unpleasant journey in the wet once, so they do work, even the wipers work after a fashion on them. I expect it would crack up if I unrolled it now, but in the days before laminated screens were on everything they were very useful.

No, no screen is not a failure. I used to get my kit car mot'd without a screen and put it back on immediately after (minor crack in the corner)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Aha! Very useful idea, clever fixing too.

Did they still check any wiper operation!?! And washers!

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Roger Hunt gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If the windscreen can be opened/folded, then wipers are unnecessary for the MOT.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Adrian wrote

The MOT appears to be pretty well thought out. Good for them.

Reply to
Roger Hunt
+AD4- and washers.

And screen demisters :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

there is no requirement for any ventilation systems or heaters in the mot. with or without windscreen. :)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Do you understand what "expiry date" is?

Reply to
Roger

The MOT is only an indication of the car being roadworthy at the exact time it was inspected.

Reply to
Roger

All that happens if you fail any of the above is you get a seven day wonder.

Yes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Pah - just bought a van off Ebay - failed on MOST of its brakepipes being 'corroded'. Took it for an MOT station near me where it failed on ONE. Took it to the garage next door where they wirebrushed the 'corrosion' off and it passed....

Has anyone EVER seen a car brakepipe (corroded rather than damaged, and within recent MOT) split?

Reply to
Paul

Yes and more than once. One actually even passed the MOT visual inspection but then subsequently failed on the brake tester. I believe I've posted about it before.

Reply to
Conor

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...>

I think you'll find that under recent(?) changes your vehicle is deemed not to have a valid MOT as soon as it has been recorded as a fail irresepective of the exisiting certificate's expiry date.

Reply to
Jeremy
[...]

Are you able to cite references please?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

What recent changes ???

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

The ones where all the laws morphed at the same time as Roger?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ive had a few over the years burst whilst doing brake roller tests during an mot, its normaly the ones that you cant see that run either through chassis or behind the fuel tank.

Reply to
reg

Nope.

Seems I was wrong - or more particularly the garage mis-informed me.... I e-mailed VOSA and got the following reply:

======================= Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your email enquiry dated (03/11/2009), concerning the above.

An MOT is valid until midnight on the date of expiry of the current certificate - even if the vehicle fails an MOT prior to that date. Please note however that the vehicle should also be kept in a roadworthy condition and meet legal requirements at all times in order to be driven on the public highway. Once midnight on the date of expiry is reached, you are only legally able to drive the vehicle directly to/from a pre-booked MOT test. If the vehicle fails the test you are also able to drive it to a place of repair and back to an MOT garage for re-test.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Reply to
Jeremy

Conor to note: