MOT query

I am sure this has been asked before but cannot find anything. My old car goes in for an MOT this morning, two weeks before actually due. If it fails can I still drive the car on it's existing MOT until it's expiry or does the new one supersede the old one.

Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The fail will not invalidate the old certificate.

However, if the car is unroadworthy, it's illegal to drive it - even before it fails a test.

Reply to
Adrian

No because although it has a certificate still in force, it doesn't meet the minimum standards required to be roadworthy which is why it has failed. It was also not legal to drive on the road with the faults before it failed the test either. Technically, depending on the reason for the failure, you may have had an excuse for driving an unroadworthy vehicle prior to the test however now you are aware of the faults/the fact the vehicle doesn't meet the minimum requirements, there is no excuse should you be pulled into a roadside VOSA checkpoint or pulled up by the Police and the faults found. It will come to light that there is a fail issued on the MOT database.

Reply to
Conor

They're all may not be legal though, it depends on what it's failed on.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I thought there were things that failed the MOT but would pass the 'unroadworthy' test.

Such as rear seat belts being worn or torn. I'd like to see you get nicked if you didn't have any rear passengers!

Also there are many 'self repair'items that could be put right quickly : bald tyre, duff bulb, out of spec numberplates - do people suggest that the current MOT is still supeceded by a new fail - if you repair these before driving?

Reply to
Paul

Perhaps you'd care to tell me what fault its legal to drive with but fail an MOT on?

Actually, I can think of one possible, cracked numberplate but only if its readable OK.

Reply to
Conor

You'd get pulled up in a VOSA roadside check for it.

If you've repaired them, then the fault doesn't exist. I doubt the OP has any intention of doing though.

Reply to
Conor

It's irrelevant, the old one is still valid, anything that previously made the car unsafe will still be doing so. There's a separate box for this shouldn't be driven down the road.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So any fail that the tester doesn't flag as "dangerous" doesn't count towards "unroadworthy"?

Reply to
Adrian

Headlamp alignment when driving during the day, emissions fails short of gross polluting, seatbelt fails for seats not in use, faulty abs warning light, temporary windscreen, spacesaver tyre fitted, there's plenty more.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No, the existence of said box is a clue.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bizarre conclusion, why do you think that? He's putting his car in for an MOT 2 weeks early. Stands to reason that he intends to get it sorted.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I think that because it could've failed so miserably that its not worth repairing so he's wondering if he can still run around in it whilst he finds another.

Reply to
Conor

But the fail certificate states the vehicle fails to meet the minimum standards for roadworthiness and/or emissions. It does not comply with the minimum requirements under the road traffic act or construction and use.

What the box on the certificate actually says is "DANGEROUS", not "isn't legal to drive". The handbrake could be inoperative which isn't dangerous but you'd still find yourself in the shit at a roadside inspection.

Reply to
Conor

If pulled into a roadside check, you'd fail it.

If pulled into a roadside check, you'd fail it.

If pulled into a roadside check, you'd fail it.

If pulled into a roadside check, you'd fail it.

Do such things exist?

Reply to
Conor

Nah, if he thinks his car's that bad, he's not going to throw away fifty quid to have it confirmed. At worst, he just wants to use the car while fixing the faults one at a time, just like most of us would do.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It was interesting reading the replies. Thanks to those who responded. I put it in early to see a: if it would pass and b: if it failed to give me a little leeway to get it fixed if it was economically viable for an old car. (K reg Rover Metro) Anyway, it doesn't matter now because it passed OK, and with no advisories! The only thing he suggested was getting the suspension pumped up as it was a bit low. He suggested a place that did it, and we left the test station and drove straight there and had it done.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

the old mot is not cancelled by the failure, so a casual anpr check or the need to produce your documents after a roadside stop would have been no problems.

But you may still have been driving an unroadworthy vehicle, same as you may be at this very moment!! An MoT pass is only saying that the vehicle met certain standards at the time it was tested.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Might not have known. Could be that its failed on all the brake pipes or needs a shedload of welding.

Reply to
Conor

I remember them advertised, years & years ago - a plastic sheet with bracing rods, that could be rolled up. Don't ask me how it was kept in place ...

But - if I turned up for MOT with no windscreen whatsoever (on my Volvo, say), would it be a fail?

Reply to
Roger Hunt