Quick MOT question?

I understand you can MOT a car up to 1 calendar month before the current one expires and if it passes the remaining month is added to the new mot. However, if the car fails does that also invalidate the remaining month left on the old mot?

Reply to
Mark

In news:c6m8u3$dmeku$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-224916.news.uni-berlin.de, Mark decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

No

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

NO. But it could be used to show that the vehicle is unroadworthy.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

No

Reply to
""manx.exile "

The message from "Mark" contains these words:

Yes and no. The old MOT is still valid, but you may be driving a car which is not in a safe condition.

Reply to
Guy King

Although you probably were before the early MOT. Ignorance is no defence etc.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thanks for clearing that up. If there's more than 1 month still remaining of the old certificate, can I still get a new MOT with the maximum of 1 month of the old MOT added to it (obviously loosing any more than the 1 calendar month of the old certificate).

Reply to
Mark

No, although things will be changing soon as the MOT records are going onto central computers, so big brother will know if your car has been deemed unroadworthy etc

Reply to
Me

Unfortunately not, the wording is quite strict in that up to one month extra is ok, however any more than one month remaining and they can only issue a one year certificate. Daft , yes. It used to be the case that a thirteen month certificate could be issued if there was more than a month remaining, but this changed several years ago, unfortunately. It used to be quite nice to offer a thirteen month, fresh mot when someone bought a car, but frequently now it has to be a nearly twelve month jobbie.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from John Greystrong contains these words:

But knowing about it is worse!

Reply to
Guy King

That does seem a daft rule as you're actually loosing out and not gaining anything. I was thinking of selling my motor with a full mot. It has 1.5 months left but if I'm going to loose a full month I might as well wait a couple of weeks and then get it mot'd.

Reply to
Mark

'Fraid so, as I explained it is quite definitely the case that over a month to run means no extension on the new ticket.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Then what you want to do is take it to somewhere that gives you a two week free retest. If there's something you know it's definitely (or very likely) to fail on, then take it in, find out what else (if anything) it fails on, get it sorted out and take it in right at the end of the two weeks, so it's exactly a month before the current one runs out, and bingo, a 13-month MOT.

Or if you're reasonably certain it's going to pass first time, take a couple of bulbs out :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Trouble is my place would just fit a bulb and pass it !!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Although the car has a valid MOT its failed the test therefore as far as I am concerned the car is illegal (non roadworthy).

Check the Insurance policy as it does state the vehicle must be roadworthy and your car is not - therefore your car is not insured!

Reply to
dave F

The message from "dave F" contains these words:

However, this may be for something like a defective headlight or a split wiper blade which need not always make a car unroadworthy.

Reply to
Guy King

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dave F" saying something like:

Don't talk bollocks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Then either make it so there's something a bit less simple, or have a word and ask them to find something minor to fail it on, just so you've got the possibility of a 13-month MOT, and if there is anything tricky that it genuinely fails on, you've got a fortnight to fix it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

What about if it failed on a broken front number plate, is it still unroadworthy?

Reply to
SimonJ

ask your insurance company

Reply to