MOT / road tax "leeway"

The government are not too bothered about MOTs (as such) - they only get £15 from the £35/40 charged where as the tax is over a £100+ (12 months) - plus the robbing B........ can claim this back from you.

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

The only time one use to get into bother not having MOT is when you have an accident - then the insurance companies (if they realise) may decide to not pay-up I know of a girl who had an accident with a council wagon - the girl was lucky that the councils insurance paid-up without question. The council guy probably got his arse kicked - oven though the girl shouldn't have been on the road. Fluke

Reply to
fluke

If happens............ Its always been the same the government tend to track down the guy who have just forgotton.............!

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

The government adverts say this.

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

Its only early days - as time goes on the computers will be able to detect when a car has been sold within a couple of days. Fluke

Reply to
fluke

In my road if I was to report a non taxed vehicle, it would be picked-up the next day. ( its people driving around screeching the wheels and just driving dangerously that annoys me.........

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

If your cars dosen't have an MOT its not insured - insurance companies my fight their corner. fluke

Reply to
fluke

Crap.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Wrong.

Reply to
SimonJ

Most of the time.

I have had a policy that explicitly stated the vehiclke must have an MOT 'if required'. i.e. Still insured for the classic trip to and from a prebooked MOT but otherwise forget it.

Reply to
PC Paul

I highly doubt it. An MOT is only an indication of the condition of the vehicle at the time of the test. You could drive it out of the test station and have something occur that would make it a fail.

Reply to
Conor

If you have a valid insurance policy, it's insured. The lack of MOT only has any effect if the small print in the policy requires an MOT for cover to be valid.

Even then, as Conor said, there are strict restrictions on the ability of insurance companies to get out of paying for 3rd party liabilities. (Although they can then attempt to sue you for the payments they made.)

Reply to
David Taylor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "fluke" saying something like:

Ins cos require the vehicle to be in a roadworthy condition and if necessary, will inspect it themselves after a shunt to see if it was a heap of s**te. This is not the same as requiring it to have an MoT.

Then they'll try to back out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Small update on the original query (I forgot to mention it)...

The car is to be scrapped, failed its MOT comprehensively with =A3500+ of= =20 welding required at a conservative guesstimate.

Its still parked off-road, but i'm not sure if they're driving it to a=20 scrappy or getting it picked up.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Bummer.

Reply to