MOT tester woes

Like the one Dave's bitching about, y'mean?

No, not really. Not when you find out the week after the test that the subframe's terminally rotten, because you've hit a pothole and the suspension arm falls off.

"Why didn't you fail it?" "Because I couldn't see..."

If in doubt, pass-and-advise.

Reply to
Adrian

Be very strange if all four coils failed at once.

Regardless of how many are in the same box, they are still essentially separate. Could be just coils, or coils with igniters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I opened up a cassette which had failed. You could smell the burn. What happens is that the copper windings get shaken on top of engine and one coil might eventually short circuit possibly after 100,000 miles or so. But the whole thing is immersed in black gooey stuff, repair is unrealistic. All so considering the 'no warning' phenomenon.

Well yes, but the black gooey stuff hold all of them, presumably for stabilising from the shake.

Reply to
johannes

I fail to see how it's "bitching" when I merely point out that an MOT tester gave me advisories on a window that isn't even part of the test, tyres that have several years life left in them, a power steering pump that's fine and a rear seat that latches perfectly normally. However let us know when your cycle runs to and from and I'll try not to post anything contentious when it's a bad time of the month for you.

Reply to
Dave Baker

best advisory I ever read on a customers mot was : ' Wiper arm hinge joints worn', I did put a drop of oil on them and the van passed many subsequent mots at my usual place with the same wiper arms. Quite why some places go to the trouble of putting extra junk on an mot is beyond me, there is enough proper stuff without adding any extra, and invented things like that have to be put on manually.

Reply to
Mrcheerful