moving a car using its starter motor

Seconded. Swapping Viva gearboxes was the first proper job I did on a car and it was a doddle, even for a beginner.

Of course it's all been downhill since then...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke
[...]

Just as well, given their propensity for clutch failure.

Didn't matter if the clutch had gone then :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Before doing this you must send your registration document to DVLA notifying a change of fuel type to 'electricty', then change it back as soon as possible.

Reply to
Arty Effem

Not as easy as an Escort, though, due to the torque tube rear axle. Or something.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

Viva HA clutch cable. An utter bastard to reach the retaining nut up inside the footwell, so a bodge was to chisel out a small flap (1"x2") above it, under the bonnet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Julian" saying something like:

Avenger. I bloke, 20 mins on ramp to off it again, new clutch.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon