Naive Q: intermittent "wheel noise"

Astra 1.6 8v, 1998 'R' reg

My son has it now -- I sold it to him. It's developed a noise which sounds to be coming from the front wheels, he says. It's kind of a "rotational rubbing" noise: I can't give much more detail 'cos my son is now at the other end of the country.

We figured it was the o/s front bearing (because the track rod end on that side had been fingered for replacement in its MOT) (does that make sense?). So he had it replaced last week.

The noise was still there when he picked it up from the garage (Thanks, Mr Garageman! )

Now the noise has GONE! (But we think it'll return, because it'd gone once before, then returned.)

Any guesses as to what might be the cause? Get the other bearing replaced? Cheers John

Reply to
John

Does it stop if he lightly applies the brakes? If so, it's the brakes.

Are the drive shaft boots ok? If one's flapping around it could be that.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Could be the low pad indicator rubbing against the disc.

Reply to
Conor