1992 Voyager wheel noise question!

Hey everyone, I'm back with a different automobile :-)

146K miles, new front tires 3 weeks ago. We were told at that time our brakes were at less than 50% wear so no hurry to replace them, but to plan for it in the near future.

A week after getting the new tires we noticed a 'rubbing' noise on the left front side, which was intermittent. I took the car back to the place we got the tires from and they said the inner and outer tie rod ends were bad, but that wouldn't cause the noise, so they assumed it was the brakes.

Another mechanic disagreed with the brake diagnosis but couldn't pin the reason for the noise. He did say it wasn't a wheel bearing at that time.

Since then (a week later) it's gotten steadily worse, but does not affect driving. It reminds me of rubber squeaking against rubber if that makes any sense?

It's loud and noticeable if I'm coasting, but when I accelerate the noise goes away.

Hubby is thinking CV joint, but I don't know... any ideas? Thanks!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

main problem is the nut holding the steering wheel.......

Reply to
theoldhaneyplace

Thhpppt! Got any good advice?

Nan

Reply to
Nan

quit buying hoopties.......

Reply to
theoldhaneyplace

Did you put on bigger tires than was on it before? The tire could be rubbing against something in the wheel well during coasting, but when you accelerate the front end lifts up a little and maybe gives you some clearance.

Reply to
gsxr711